Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im building a bike up with sram red drivetrain, and im basically going for lightweight, but without spending too much $$$....

i have most of the parts figured out except the crankset....

srams red crankset was supposedly their lightest... quick look at weights and it says 750 grams for the red (w/o bb), then force is 665g. maybe the 750g was actually including the bb weight.

also, i was considering the ritchey compact crankset, weight reads 570g and is $100 less than sram. it seems like most bb are around 100g, so that leaves me at about 670g for the crankset plus bb, and a couple hundred dollars richer.

are these weights correct or were those weights for the sram cranks including the bb?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think 750 grams for Red does include the BB, whereas 665 for Force does not. IIRC, SRAM's gxp bottom bracket weighs 102 grams, so Force would be a huge ~17 grams heavier than Red. And both would be only ~100 grams or less lighter than Rival, which you can buy dirt cheap.

Concerning the Ritchey cranks, the 100 grams mark for the bb is way off. That's no external bearings system there, it's the octalink BB that you need, and it weighs around 220 grams. So, the Ritchey crankset + bb is roughly 790 grams.

I may be slightly wrong on some components' weights, but that should give you a good idea.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Svooterz said:
I think 750 grams for Red does include the BB, whereas 665 for Force does not. IIRC, SRAM's gxp bottom bracket weighs 102 grams, so Force would be a huge ~17 grams heavier than Red. And both would be only ~100 grams or less lighter than Rival, which you can buy dirt cheap.

Concerning the Ritchey cranks, the 100 grams mark for the bb is way off. That's no external bearings system there, it's the octalink BB that you need, and it weighs around 220 grams. So, the Ritchey crankset + bb is roughly 790 grams.

I may be slightly wrong on some components' weights, but that should give you a good idea.
k thanks... ill be honest, im getting huge deals on everything because of where i work, so it almost makes sense to take advantage of that and go with the most expensive/best stuff i can afford.

from what you said, ill be going with red cranks now (probably not ceramic bearings though,we'll see). i was thinking about the fsa k-force cranks untill i found out their retail price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.