Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a 2010 Roubaix Comp with Aksium Race wheels. According to Mavic's website, these rims are 24mm deep with 20r/18f. For reference, I am a 235lb rider. I am looking at a set of custom built Kinlin's that are stronger yet lighter.

I was looking at Fairwheelbikes.com and reading about the XR-270 rim. According to their website, the XR-270 build is recommended for riders 180 lbs and under?? The build they are referring to on their site is 24r/20f with DT Swiss 240s. Here is the other thing...the XR300 build is 24r/20f. Is the 30mm rim depth really that much stronger than the 27mm?

How is it that the KinLin build their site is referring to is not recommended for a rider of my size but yet its a deeper/stronger rim with a higher spoke count?? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
use the Kinlin 30mm rim in the 28 front 32 rear spoke configuration. Use DB14 or competition spokes. Anything less will produce a flexy wheel. 24 spokes aren't enough.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
cmg said:
use the Kinlin 30mm rim in the 28 front 32 rear spoke configuration. Use DB14 or competition spokes. Anything less will produce a flexy wheel. 24 spokes aren't enough.
Agreed. I'm 170 and was recommended 20/28 with 270s or 300s. Up your spoke count. The weight penalty isn't significant and it is going to make a much more durable wheel.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The 270 and the 300 are about the same in strength and stiffness. The 270 is shorter, but 1mm wider. Weight difference is ~445g vs 460g.

Either would be fine for someone your weight.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. One last question, how do I determine what spoke length I need for these wheels?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot...in regards to the DT Competition spoke...that's their Competition double butted spoke correct?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The ERDs run ~586mm for the 270 and 577mm for the 300. Alchemy sells the rims (black only) and also Wheelsmith DB14 spokes (a good choice) and various nipples in the exact quantities you want.

·
Registered
799 Posts
mikagsd said:
Forgot...in regards to the DT Competition spoke...that's their Competition double butted spoke correct?
Yes, 2.0/1.8/2.0, although they also make them in 1.8/1.6/1.8.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last question on the Kinlin XR-300. Is the strength & stiffness of this rim comparable to the DT Swiss 1.2? In other words does the heavier DT Swiss = a more durable rim over the XR300? I have settled on my hubs, spokes and nips but as I read more about the DT Swiss rim, even though its heavier, it seems ultra durable. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
mikagsd said:
One last question on the Kinlin XR-300. Is the strength & stiffness of this rim comparable to the DT Swiss 1.2? In other words does the heavier DT Swiss = a more durable rim over the XR300? I have settled on my hubs, spokes and nips but as I read more about the DT Swiss rim, even though its heavier, it seems ultra durable. Thanks.
the deeper rim has a better chance of being a stiffer rim. the 1.2 may have more material for the brake area. Which is more durable? depends on how much you use the brakes and on the road conditions your use to. do you plow through potholes or try to avoid them, avoid rocks and debris on the road shoulder or just pick a line and plow on.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The profiles are similar but the DT is ~130g heavier... so if f you value strength and durability over weight, then get the DT.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got everything settled and here is what its going to be when everything arrives:

silver XR-300 rims from wheelbuilder.com, 32r/28f
silver DT Competition double butted 2.0 spokes, 3x on DS & NDS on the rear & 2x up front
Christ King R45 blue hubs
blue alloy nips

The rims have arrived & the rest are on order. Once my LBS has them built up, I will post some pics of them. Thanks to everyone who helped me out here, I appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Should be a great wheelset! Do check the preload on the R45 rear hub a couple of times, I had to tighten mine up after riding a few miles.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got the new wheels today. Ended up with CK Classic vs R45. R45 was going to be awhile. Laced 3x DS & NDS with DT Comp 2.0 spokes and 2x on the front.

Took them out for a spin with the local group ride, 23 miles tonight, avg'd excatly 17mph. They rode pretty good and the sound of the CK hubs was nowhere near as loud as I imagined. I don't know if that will change as they get broken in or not. It was windy tonight and maybe twice I could feel the wind affecting the wheel but it was not bad at all. The Aksium's I had were only 23 or 24mm deep and this was definitely one of the differences I felt as far as wind grabbing the wheel. My shop dropped my tire pressure by a few pounds and I was shocked at what that did for the comfort level....it was insane how plush the ride felt. I usually run 115psi and I bet this was around 105. I run Michelin Lithion tires.

I was pleased with the first spin on them. I will be anxious to see how the CK's feel after the break in period and how they do when I do the Diabetes Assoc. century on May 1. I will probably take them back next week & have the spoke tension checked & adjusted if need be but I am really looking forward to the century ride and see what sort of feedback they give me over a long sustained ride.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Classic hubs will probably get a bit louder, as the grease gets displaced. My older set sound like angry bees. My new R45 rear hub is quite a bit quieter, but it's only got a few hundred miles on it, now.

That should be a good stout build, I expect you'll get good service out of them. I usually run about 5psi lower in the front tire than rear; you might try that, too.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fallz--thanks. It was funny...there was a lady riding next to me who actually said "what's that noise?" I stopped pedaling & said "that noise?" She said, yep, that noise. Told her it was pack of angry bees chasing us. ;p

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
for added comfort try going to 25mm wide tires, conti 4000 or something similar, add some light tubes and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cmg- I have been considering the 25mm tire as I have been reading that lots of people have been using that and their comfort level has increased. I don't really have a problem with 23's, they have never bothered me at all really, I just noticed a much different feel yesterday with the psi being lowered from what I usually run. If I can find me a 25 rear in blue, I'll make the switch for sure.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A few pics of the wheels to follow shortly. Forgot to size down my images...will retake & post in a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts