Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this past weekend was back to back 25mph sustained gusting at 30+ on the first day I took my fixed gear kilo out and got my butt kicked while going into it. the next day, winds were practically identical, out of the ssw and wicked! but I decided to take the 16 pound road bike, and actually fellt like the kilo was easier to push through the wind. could this be true or is this just me trying to justify why i like my 350 dollar fixed gear way better than my 3500 dollar road bike????:mad2:

·
hello
3,394 Posts
It's all in your head. You'll also be able to climb better with your FG than with your road bike. :D

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
also remember a FG always tends to have a better chainline (assuming you set it up right).

Geared bikes usually have some angular losses... so fixed is very efficient. Too bad you don't have more gears lol... Anyone want an internal hub?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
FG into the wind can be a challenge.
But remember; 'The worst day on a FG is still better than the best day on a road bike.'

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Finding your strength.

It's mental—pushing a fixed gear into the wind feels good because at lower cadences and brutal pedal forces, you realize how strong you are and find satisfaction in that. With a road bike, you tend to shift down and often find yourself spinning a stupidly high cadence at a disgustingly low speed, cursing the wind and your perceived lack of strength. :)

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
wim said:
It's mental—pushing a fixed gear into the wind feels good because at lower cadences and brutal pedal forces, you realize how strong you are and find satisfaction in that. With a road bike, you tend to shift down and often find yourself spinning a stupidly high cadence at a disgustingly low speed, cursing the wind and your perceived lack of strength. :)

This is very true....although reality sets in once I get home

I did back to back 70 milers this past weekend.... Indentical conditions ..Wind out of the south 25-30

I rode the exact same route, 35 miles into the wind and than a 35 mile tailwind home.

Saturday was geared- I got home was fairly refreshed....
Sunday was fixed- I got home and was spent.....nothing left in the tank......

I'll take fixed gear riding over geared any day but riding fixed into a strong headwind can really take it out you....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i also like riding fixed over geared, I just wish the wind in ohio would give me an effin break! today is 15 mph gusting at 24, a little better, but not FAC like i like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts