Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still attempting to narrow down my never ending woes of Zwift crashes, which in turn freezes my laptop screen, forcing a hard reboot as I can not even manipulate the mouse.

Zwift has been no real help. Each time a ticket is submitted and logs forwarded, they come back with a different possible solution for what remains an unexplained problem. A problem that others I know are experiencing as well. They told me to turn of any VPN or proxy. Done. Still froze. Then they blamed it on a loss of internet connection, which in turn can cause Zwift to crash.

Reviewing the Zwift logs myself, there are numerous NETWORK error messages; NETCLIENT errors; and NETWORK: Delayed packet detected.

I don't know what these are? Do any of you?

What could be the cause of them? Is it my Comcast router? I downloaded a network monitor the other day to watch my internet connection, and found multiple times when the internet dropped out, each lasting 1 or 2 seconds each time. What the hell is the problem?

The past couple rides I went in and completely killed Norton 360, disabling both the firewall and the auto-protect. Doing so, I notice far fewer NETWORK error messages in the logs (mostly at the start of each), but still many delayed packets (whatever they are). Today, Saturday, there were numerous instances of delayed packets (no freezes though). Could this have something to do with the number of other users online at the time? I notice these freezes most often on the weekends, notably Sundays.

I apologies for any similar threads I might have recently posted on this same subject. I'm losing track of it all. I'm just trying to figure this problem out. I'm at a loss. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Windows (if that is what u're running) has an error log, you might want to start saving those or looking at them when this happens. Also C-A-D to task manager and take a look at what is happening there.
It sounds like u have something wrong with your computer. My desktop runs fine, but it is locking up after about 4 hours for 15 seconds, then all is fine. I can't figure that out iether.

Anyway, with the logs, you can get a computer system expert to look at the add your computer and maybe figure it out.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank, duriel. I checked my windows event logs, and critical events have a source fore Kernel-power (whatever that is), and noted errors are Kernel Event Tracing, HAL, store licensing, DHCpv6-Client, application error, VSS, Distributed COM, and S Channel. There is also mention of something called Windows Powershell. I'm not a tech geek and it's all Mandarin to me. I wonder if this Powershell is the cause of the Zwift problems. But more importantly, how can any of it be fixed? No mention of Zwift specifically.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with Zwift. I present that it is something interrupting your connection from within your computer.
I am not your guy.
W10 has had a lot of updates, are u running W10?
Did u update to W10? If u did, it probably is a old driver somewhere that is not working.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it's 8.1. I also just noticed something on the event log of my latest Zwift crash called igfxext.exe version 6.15.10.4509. It is the name of both a faulting application and module.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
take that file, and go to windows explorer, and search for it....... when you find it, find out what directry it is in and what it is. google it!

·
Registered
760 Posts
No, it's 8.1. I also just noticed something on the event log of my latest Zwift crash called igfxext.exe version 6.15.10.4509. It is the name of both a faulting application and module.

Anyone have any ideas?
As a networking and VoIP engineer, recommend, again, that if the issue is happening on multiple PCs, change all your cabling, as well as your modern/router...see if the problem persists. Just be sure to keep your receipt. If it does, then start looking into trying to run Zwift on a PC with clean installation of Windows, and or DirectX, and OpenGL.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Igfxext.exe is part of Intel network controller drivers. I would look for newer drives from intel for whatever network controller... i would look for newer drivers for everything.

I also recommend upgrading to 10... which apparently is still free (though not officially).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I apologies for any similar threads I might have recently posted on this same subject. I'm losing track of it all. I'm just trying to figure this problem out. I'm at a loss. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.
One suggestion is to try to narrow it down between your computer or your internet connection. Do you have another computer that you can try or perhaps borrow one? Are you running over Wifi or hard wired?

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whatever the cause, It's gone beyond the point of aggravation.

I have an Xfinity tech coming out this morning. See if he can figure it out.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Whatever the cause, It's gone beyond the point of aggravation.

I have an Xfinity tech coming out this morning. See if he can figure it out.
That sounds like a good plan. A couple of years ago we had a lightning strike that hit the metal box at the street that our Comcast cable attaches to. It destroyed one of our tv's and the cable modem. After that we had lots of problems with tv and internet. Comcast came out and it turned out the coax cable to the house was damaged as well. I would not have figured that out on my own

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sounds like a good plan. A couple of years ago we had a lightning strike that hit the metal box at the street that our Comcast cable attaches to. It destroyed one of our tv's and the cable modem. After that we had lots of problems with tv and internet. Comcast came out and it turned out the coax cable to the house was damaged as well. I would not have figured that out on my own
Well, there was a whole lot of confusion trying to figure out what cables were running where. We have six cable boxes in the house, and a couple splitters. One of the cable boxes and the internet connection somehow got sealed inside the wall to a new addition that was built several years back. There was no way to get at it. (We were both scratching our heads on that one.) So the tech ran a new line right to the modem.

Oddly enough, it appears the problems persist.

Task manager shows high network spikes. I jumped on Zwift for a test run to check the log, and the log continues to show numerous Network errors and Delayed packets. I ran a speed test and got 12 ms for the ping. I hooked up two different laptops and ran Zwift on both, and both are getting the same error messages on the logs.

I guess the next move would be to have Comcast replace the modem.

I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Well, there was a whole lot of confusion trying to figure out what cables were running where. We have six cable boxes in the house, and a couple splitters. One of the cable boxes and the internet connection somehow got sealed inside the wall to a new addition that was built several years back. There was no way to get at it. (We were both scratching our heads on that one.) So the tech ran a new line right to the modem.

Oddly enough, it appears the problems persist.

Task manager shows high network spikes. I jumped on Zwift for a test run to check the log, and the log continues to show numerous Network errors and Delayed packets. I ran a speed test and got 12 ms for the ping. I hooked up two different laptops and ran Zwift on both, and both are getting the same error messages on the logs.

I guess the next move would be to have Comcast replace the modem.

I don't know what else to do.
That's one long ping. Here's what I would do. Go to the Comcast site and find out what cable modems are compatible. Go to big box electronics retailer of choice and buy one of them. Save the receipt. Try it. If is no better return the modem.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's one long ping. Here's what I would do. Go to the Comcast site and find out what cable modems are compatible. Go to big box electronics retailer of choice and buy one of them. Save the receipt. Try it. If is no better return the modem.
I've already contacted Comcast, and they are sending me a new modem. I'll see how that goes. I'm running out of options here.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
It sounds to me you are close. You eliminated your computer as the culprit as well as the line from Comcast. In addition to the cable modem do you have a WiFi router in the chain that might be a possible cause?

·
Registered
197 Posts
So is this over wifi or not? Need to eliminate the wifi connection as cause. Can do this by opening up command window and running ping -t insert-ip-of-router-here and monitor the results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.