Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well this is the question. Will the combination be safe? The Connex is a bit wider than the shimano therefore the link can disengage more easily, so it seems that the cain would come undone if there's a moment when it is losse. (like hitting a pothole).
Has anyone tried out this combination?
I actually hate the shimano "reinforced pin" method of joining a chain. It's more comfortable with the special Wippermann link.
I also like to keep my chain quite clean and therefore take it off every 1-2 months.
And to make things harder, I now realised how smooth the drivetrain turns/shifts when using the shimano chain compared to the Connex. I drew this conclusion after using the Connex for the last year or so, and replacing it now with a HG73.
I am using shimano 105 sprockets (which I'll have to replace soon because of wear) and shimano 600 chainwheel.
I haven't ridden my bike with the new chain yet.

Thanks for any input,
br

·
Registered
90 Posts
brblue, Well I'll hope to answer your question, whippermanns 900 chain is 6.5mm wide, the shimano HG73 is 6.2 (was trying for a link to show you) whippermanns 10 speed campy chain is 6.2mm I think that I would use one of those the width should match (maybe1008). Hope that it helps you. When you have a wippermann of the right width they work well and are very quiet. -- Bill

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
The dimension to measure...

is the width across the inner side plates, not the outer side plates. FWIW, a Campy 10 chain measures 3.94mm or .155 inch. If the Shimano chain is not any wider and not too much narrower (like no more than .005 inch), the Campy 10 Connex link would be a good fit. I don't own any shimano chains to measure, maybe someone can else can fill in the blanks.

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10x

Hello everyone,

It really seems I should avoid the connex 900 link/HG 73 combination ? well It doesn;t look safe to me, but I was hoping for someone to pop up and tell me different. I have ridden the shimano chain with connex link only on my trainer, but as soon as the temperatures will allow an outdoor ride, I'll connect the chain with its pin (the way mother nature intended), and look for a way to clean the chain on the bike.
Around here there aren't any 10 speed parts to find(campy or shimano), connex chains included:) and my choice for 9 spd components is quite small too.

Thank you very much for your answers
br

·
Registered
376 Posts
Try the SRAM link

I run the Wipperman on my 10 speed chains (Campy) and it works great.

I run the SRAM link on my 9 speed shimano chains. Nice, tight fit. I also keep my chains clean and change them often (probably TOO often). I have used the 9 speed Wipperman links, but overall liked the SRAM link better. Too bad they don't make a 10 speed link/chain (yet).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts