Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chains stretch and wear and people here seem to get anywhere from 3000-5000 miles from chains - but what about the Connex link? Does that link wear and stretch too? If it does I would imagine it could throw off the performace of a new chain?

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything on the life of a Wipperman Connex link.

thanks,

Nik

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
optional...

The pins and bushings formed into the inner sideplates wear, causing the length and pitch to increase. Chains don't actually stretch. When a connector link is reused, only the pins are worn, not the mating bushings. One link with greater than average wear probably won't affect shifting performance, but it does increase the risk of failure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Replace to be Safe

Last time I replaced my chain I decided to clean up my SRAM link to inspect it for the first time. It had been on the bike for two chain lives (~8K miles). I noted considerable visible wear to the link -- both on the pins and on the inner plates. I measured the metal loss and found it to be 6 mils on the pins (~4%), and 5 mils on the plates (~14%). Seemed like the right thing to do was to replace it to avoid risk of failure. OTOH, had I not seen visible wear, I would have put it back on the bike. So as a general rule, I will replace the link during every other chain replacement. I would imagine the Wipperman link wears in a like fashion.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Bill70J said:
So as a general rule, I will replace the link during every other chain replacement. I would imagine the Wipperman link wears in a like fashion.
It does precisely so and for this reason on my bike it survives exactly 2 chains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts