Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy was a cheater till he got caught, served a fraction of his punishment for rolling over on other riders, now he is the ITT champion again. Bravo to the system that punished him. Seems fair. Not.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Who really cares...... Guys wake up and smell the coffee. The golden age of cycling and competition is over and has been for some time (that's if there ever was one). Modern cycling has come a long way to making the sport safer, more competitive and more scientific. Unfortunately, science has also allowed those to extend careers, or become racing machines with a "little help from chemistry."
My point of view is now jaded, and don't really share the excitement from watching the sport (or any sport for that matter). Most of the time all we ever hear about is the overpaid "millionaires" complaining about working conditions (football, baseball, basketball). I would be more than happy to take their jobs, if they are this dissatisfied.
Anyone one else share my apathy?

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
I'm usually pretty cynical but Zirbel's is one case that I think may have actually been an accident.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Very good point...they don't call it the National Felony League for nothing.

Sagan punches a butt and everyone goes nuts...football and basketball players do infinitely worse and nobody even notices.
I find that many of the middle aged males I knew that were outraged seemed to watch a lot of USA ball sports. McQuaid might be sweeping it under the rug. Pretty sure the US pro sports barely care enough to test. The few people who are busted seem to be token gestures.

I'm usually pretty cynical but Zirbel's is one case that I think may have actually been an accident.
Perhaps. He tested positive for something that's potentially in a lot of substances and those substances/companies aren't well regulated. If he was telling the truth, he paid a pretty hefty penalty, which included his chance to race with Garmin.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Meh, I just watch a race for the race. Daytime soap operas aren't my thing.

It's kinda funny how horrible of a person Lance is, yet Michael Vick seems to have recovered. ?
I'd say there is a three way split in Vick. People who don't see anything wrong with dogfighting. People who think what Vick did was sick and hard to redeem. And people who think Vick paid for his crimes - jail time, loss of income, personal stigma. He has not been in trouble with the law since and speaks to kids about making better decisions than he did.

Personally? I think it takes a sick person to kill an animal. Legally, it's hard to keep punishing someone after they've paid their 'debt to society.'

I'd be more sympathetic to Lance if he had served jail time, repaid people he scammed out if money and toured the country, warning kids about the dangers of doping.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I'd say there is a three way split in Vick. People who don't see anything wrong with dogfighting. People who think what Vick did was sick and hard to redeem. And people who think Vick paid for his crimes - jail time, loss of income, personal stigma. He has not been in trouble with the law since and speaks to kids about making better decisions than he did.

Personally? I think it takes a sick person to kill an animal. Legally, it's hard to keep punishing someone after they've paid their 'debt to society.'

I'd be more sympathetic to Lance if he had served jail time, repaid people he scammed out if money and toured the country, warning kids about the dangers of doping.
It's frustrating how lax laws are regarding animal cruelty. It's a bit of an eye opener knowing that there are segments in society that don't see that it's wrong. Even before I had a dog, I knew torturing animals was wrong.

A few years back, some thug in section 8 housing kicked a small dog out of a window during a domestic dispute. He didn't see anything wrong with it. "It's just a dog." This is kinda why I'd love to build a nice and secure complex in the middle of nowhere.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
It's frustrating how lax laws are regarding animal cruelty. It's a bit of an eye opener knowing that there are segments in society that don't see that it's wrong. Even before I had a dog, I knew torturing animals was wrong.

A few years back, some thug in section 8 housing kicked a small dog out of a window during a domestic dispute. He didn't see anything wrong with it. "It's just a dog." This is kinda why I'd love to build a nice and secure complex in the middle of nowhere.
Kill a dog with your bare hands, not much jail time.
Get caught with a big bag if weed - felony and minimum sentences.

I'm more scared of the dog murderers than the pot smokers.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Meh, I just watch a race for the race. Daytime soap operas aren't my thing.

It's kinda funny how horrible of a person Lance is, yet Michael Vick seems to have recovered. ?
Oh crap, don't get me started on that facking monster. I can't believe that people have forgiven him for the torture and abuse of all those innocent dogs. He is the reason I WILL NOT buy anything Nike. THAT MAN is evil, so much more evil than anything Lance can even come close to being.

My blood boils just thinking about him. :cryin:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
He should never have been allowed into the NFL again and that should have been driven by the demands of the fans (empty stadium boycott). 2nd chance? Falling back on the "degree" he got from playing @ VT is a 2nd chance.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Oh crap, don't get me started on that facking monster. I can't believe that people have forgiven him for the torture and abuse of all those innocent dogs. He is the reason I WILL NOT buy anything Nike. THAT MAN is evil, so much more evil than anything Lance can even come close to being.

My blood boils just thinking about him. :cryin:
I'm with ya.
I was hoping the NFL would not allow him back. I mean, I knew they would, but I was still hoping...
F' that douchebag.

Reactions: EuroSVT

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Well, what he was caught for was DHEA ... which by PED standards has shown to be about as effective as Ibuprofen in boosting performance ... assuming it's the only thing the individual is taking. Given it's prevalence in over the counter supplements ... it's easy to believe it could have been in a supplement he was taking or manufactured in a tub that had residual amounts of DHEA in it that triggered the positive result.

With that said ... DHEA is usually used by people between Steroid cycles ... so who knows?

In the end though ... he tested positive for a banned substance and that's all that matters in the end. The fact he chose to retire after he was given the suspension is a bit dubious, then came back after time away from "The Game".

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
IDK, perhaps his decision to retire was due to frustration. We're all human and prone to being extremely frustrated with the system(s).

As for him being a snitch, don't we want cleaner cycling? If people don't get caught, they're not going to confess. Simple as that.

Perhaps we should automatically give every rider 2 years. Give us a big fish and ya get 1 year. Give us 2 big fish and ya get 6 months. One big fish also=2 medium fish=4 small fish. FWIW, I'm surprised riders were so open with doping. If I were to dope or a friend were to dope, I'd hope it would be behind closed doors.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
FWIW, I'm surprised riders were so open with doping. If I were to dope or a friend were to dope, I'd hope it would be behind closed doors.
That really surprises me too, but maybe it's because "everybody is doing it" that they feel comfortable enough being open about it.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
He should never have been allowed into the NFL again and that should have been driven by the demands of the fans (empty stadium boycott). 2nd chance? Falling back on the "degree" he got from playing @ VT is a 2nd chance.
Personally, I agree. And I'll not buy anything related to Vick, or the Eagles.

The guy was into dogfighting. Killing dogs and funding a gambling operation.

I guess both are ok in the NFL. You can't do a crazy touchdown celebration. But kill animals and gamble. sweet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.