Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been braking a lot of spokes lately on the stock alex at400 rear rim that came on the used 2004 specialized allez I bought a couple of years ago.

The people at the LBS seem to be discouraging me from just having the wheel rebuilt.

I just bike for fitness so my main concern is reliability. I weigh about 185 lbs.

What would be a good rear wheel to pickup? I assume the front wheel will have greater life but should I go ahead and replace it along with the rear? Would I be likely to notice any ride improvement from a nice new wheel in front?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
jonah255 said:
1. The people at the LBS seem to be discouraging me from just having the wheel rebuilt.

2. What would be a good rear wheel to pickup?

3. I assume the front wheel will have greater life but should I go ahead and replace it along with the rear?

4. Would I be likely to notice any ride improvement from a nice new wheel in front?
1. They're right. Breaking multiple spokes is often a sign that the rim has gotten too bent to be made both true and evenly-tensioned. It will just keep doing it.

2. Lots of choices. For your needs, you don't need anything fancy. If your shop has a good wheelbuilder, re-use the old hub. Something like an Open Pro rim will last you a long time if it's built up well.

3. No reason to, unless you care about the wheels matching.

4. Not likely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts