Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm in the market for an $800-1000 road bike. I want at least 105 components and I want at least a carbon fork, but preferably seat stays or a post, as well. I want to buy locally, since this will be my first bike and the fit is important to me. I'm pretty unsatisfied with most of the bigger bike stores in the area, and have found customer service to be quite poor at many of the smaller stores. There is one store that I like quite a lot and I would like to support the local business, but he doesn't really have a bike I'm interested in, save for the one that I'll mention below.

The two bikes I have been able to find locally that fit my needs are:

2005 Fuji Roubiax (at the local store), which has 105 components and a carbon fork and stays. $900. But it has a cheap seat, does not have a carbon seatpost (which I think I might really like for the dampening), and the accessories at the store are expensive, even after the 10% discount. Service for one year. I like the bike but I think I would like to upgrade the seat and seatpost anyways, which is going to be probably another $130 or 150.

And...

2005 Scattante R660 (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21252&estore_ID=596#), which I just found today on my first visit to Performance Bike. It is full Ultegra (minus the cranks, which are Truvativ), it has a carbon fork, stays, and post, a relatively nice seat (or a cheap upgrade to Titanium (am I going to notice the difference with a Titanium seat?). Not sure about the wheels, gotta look into it, but they seem nicer than the Fuji's and I think they're actually manufactured by Alex. The frame, it seems, is actually manufactred by Ritchey. Cheap accessories which I would end up getting all free after their 10% back deal, and Lifetime service. $1000.

What should I know before I make my decision? Does anyone know of any deals that might be comparable available in the Portland area?

Thanks a lot for any help!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I don't know why you considered buying a bike from Performance a "great evil." IMO supporting your LBS is always a good idea. Having said that, probably more than 50% of the bike stuff I own has been purchased via mail order. When I'm looking for something, typically I'll go on-line, then go to my LBS & compare prices. If it's reasonably close, I'll buy it locally. Scattante bikes, I know nothing about, but I wouldn't assume they're trash. I'd want to see one 1st. For all I know, they may be real nice. The price is certainly very tempting, especially considering the Ultegra Gruppo that comes with it.

As for the carbon seatpost, I doubt seriously that you'd be able to tell the difference. There are some who swear they can notice a big difference. I always wonder if they rode the same bike with a cf post and an alloy post, and the posts were disguised with duct tape, if they'd reliably be able to tell which was which. When it comes to components that don't have moving parts, e.g. stems, seatposts, bars, etc. I try not to over think them. A seatpost is a metal or plastic stick that holds the seat on. It's not rocket science. That it should be a complex choice requiring much thought and truly exotic materials, are what the Madison Ave. advertising agencies want you to believe.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
All may not agree but Performance provides a great service for the average cyclist. They are the basis that most LBS are forced to price against. They are honest and Fair.
Since it a shop instead of the online store you are still putting money into the local economy.

Go For it.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Re the wheels, I'd err on the side of strength.

mbryant52 said:
Any thoughts on the wheels?
It may be because I weigh 240 and I've tacoed a lot of wheels, but depending on your size, I'd go with a nice, ordinary, strong 32-spoke wheel (36 if you're near 200 lbs.). If you're 150 or below this might not apply, but with a decent set of non-trick wheels, you'll get to ride more than you true for awhile, and it gives you an easy choice when you get Upgrade Fever: "I'd be SO much faster if I had those StupidLites."

·
Registered
771 Posts
mbryant,

I'm right where your at. I'm considering the Fuji Cross Pro. My LBS is offering it for under 1500. Full Ultegra. Crank setup, 46/38 I believe, may not be what your looking for. He also had the 2005 model for 1K but not Ultegra.

I'm thinking Cross because I believe it to be very slightly more relaxed than a full on road bike. I'm 50, and want this bike to be relevent to me 10 years from now. Maybe a Touring setup would better?

It's the sizing thing that's driving me nuts. I went and got a fit from a guy that says I need a 58 but a top tube that would be on a 54-55. My thinking now is I can get the compartment I need by using a shorter stem set up. I was wondering if the steerer on the box bikes comes long and you can cut er down as you go?

good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Think carefully about buying a cross bike for road use. I borrowed one for a 50 mile ride and the fork was uncomfortably stiff, as was the ride. I am sure using proper oversized cross tires adds comfort...

·
Cicloturista
98 Posts
Go Scattante

I have another model Scattante,but this is better than other brands in same level.In components worth the price. :)

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
saddle tramp said:
Does Scattante have a web site? I can't find it.
Who knows... they might be an independent brand but as far as I know Scattante used to be until now a house brand of Supergo/ made by Kenesis...now being sold by Performance since Supergo is officially absorbed and turned into Performance... they were owned by Perf for a few years now.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
6was9 said:
Who knows... they might be an independent brand but as far as I know Scattante used to be until now a house brand of Supergo/ made by Kenesis...now being sold by Performance since Supergo is officially absorbed and turned into Performance... they were owned by Perf for a few years now.

No those are made by old man Scattante, individually, by hand, in a tiny village in Italy. His bikes have been used by many pros to win many races over the years, but always with the name of another maker on the tubes. Old man Scattante just recently signed a deal to bring his frames to the US, under his own name, at bargain prices. Get one while you can. Soon everyone will be on one, or will want one. ;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have that exact model

I bought mine at the Supergo in Ventura, CA. I think the Ultegra-spec'd 660 is a steal for the price, especially coming from an early 90s first-gen 600STI grouppo.

I've put about 1000 miles on mine, and the only issue I've had is with the left crankarm loosening up on me. I stripped it off, cleaned all the extra grease off and reinstalled with blue loctite, and it seems fine now.

The ride is plush, but it doesn't feel flexy, even when hammering out of the saddle.

I can't say enough about the shifting and brakes. Just awesome.

I was concerned about the wheelset, as I'm about 210 and tend to bunny-hop obstacles on the road, but I have not had to even touch a spoke, and they are 100% true still. I was budgeting for a replacement heavy-duty wheelset, but there's been no indication it's needed so far.

Just so nobody thinks I'm a shill for Old Man Scattante, Here's mine:

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
My first bike was a Scattante CFR and it rode very well,the only reason I still don't have it because they sent the wrong size so I've since sold it.As far as the wheels go,when I bought mine I was about 215lbs and never had a problem with them.None at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Scattante is a good choice

I ride with several people who ride Scattantes (in Chapel Hill, NC) and I have to say that they are great bikes for the price. They do not skimp the parts like the PBS brand bikes. I have seen almost all of the models close up, and there's nothing at all wrong with them. As far as having a carbon post, I agree with a previous poster that they're not noticable, and should definitely not be a deal breaker. My only concern with the one you're considering are the wheels, Supergo Korsos, and the drive-side rear spokes for heavy riders. I understand that they're basically neuvations, but not as high quality. But keep in mind that PBS's tech guys will help you out if you break any spokes.

In a nutshell, I don't know anyone who has ever regretted buying one of these bikes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My first road bike was a Scattante 550. I weighed 230 at that time. I have broken 1 spoke and need to true the wheels several times a year, but other than that, it has been a good bike. The wheels flex a lot (Alex R450), and I used to be able to get the rear tire to rub on the chainstay when out of the saddle. Now that I am down to 175 lbs, there is not as much noticeable flex, but I don't ride it that much any more. It was a perfect first bike, because it let me know what I really wanted in a bike without throwing down too much money.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Get the Scattantte, it is a great deal for the money. The wheels are nearly identical to the Nuvation M28 wheels, the frame is a well built, nicely painted frame from taiwan, and the components are great for the price.

If anyone gives your crap for riding it, tell them you will be happy to ride a nice botique bike if they give you $3000 to buy it, if they don't want to give you the cash, tell them to shut the F*c* up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mbryant52 said:
Okay, so I'm in the market for an $800-1000 road bike. I want at least 105 components and I want at least a carbon fork, but preferably seat stays or a post, as well. I want to buy locally, since this will be my first bike and the fit is important to me. I'm pretty unsatisfied with most of the bigger bike stores in the area, and have found customer service to be quite poor at many of the smaller stores. There is one store that I like quite a lot and I would like to support the local business, but he doesn't really have a bike I'm interested in, save for the one that I'll mention below.

The two bikes I have been able to find locally that fit my needs are:

2005 Fuji Roubiax (at the local store), which has 105 components and a carbon fork and stays. $900. But it has a cheap seat, does not have a carbon seatpost (which I think I might really like for the dampening), and the accessories at the store are expensive, even after the 10% discount. Service for one year. I like the bike but I think I would like to upgrade the seat and seatpost anyways, which is going to be probably another $130 or 150.

And...

2005 Scattante R660 (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21252&estore_ID=596#), which I just found today on my first visit to Performance Bike. It is full Ultegra (minus the cranks, which are Truvativ), it has a carbon fork, stays, and post, a relatively nice seat (or a cheap upgrade to Titanium (am I going to notice the difference with a Titanium seat?). Not sure about the wheels, gotta look into it, but they seem nicer than the Fuji's and I think they're actually manufactured by Alex. The frame, it seems, is actually manufactred by Ritchey. Cheap accessories which I would end up getting all free after their 10% back deal, and Lifetime service. $1000.

What should I know before I make my decision? Does anyone know of any deals that might be comparable available in the Portland area?

Thanks a lot for any help!

I am a newbie to road bike and about a week ago I was looking for a road bike too. Stopped my most of the shops in my area and compared components. I ended up with an '05 Scattante R660 double from Performance. For $999 nothing can come close. They had an Iron Horse Victory race for $999 that had comparable components but I didn't care for the red color on the frame and the frame was Kinesium vs the Easton Ultra Lite on the Scattante. Although I have nothing to compare it to except my Flat Bar Road bike I am really happy with it. The Ultegra components are great, I might change the stem and bars, but other then that I have no desires to change anything else. Scattante was Supergo's house brand and now that Performance bought Supergo they are clearing out old inventory. While riding I hear a few "Oh - it's a Supergo bike" comments but big deal. For the money you can't get anything else close to the R660.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have bought plenty stuff at Performance. I even bought a Fuji Professional when the price got too good to resist. But I would not buy a Scallante. Buy a Fuji if it is between the two, the frame while a bit stiff is well designed and well built.
If I were you I would stretch a little and buy a Cannondale Caad8. That is a bike that will grow with you, that you can upgrade as much as your heart desires.
AND if you never end up riding it, you will at least get a bunch of your money out of it, unlike Performances house brand Scallante.
All of these bikes will suite the beginning rider, but what about when you are not new on the bike, and start to want more?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Scattante CFR + Ultegra is $1269

Scattante CFR is their carbon fiber model. $1269 for this bike is pretty hard to beat with Ultegra. I doubt that this frame is very stiff, but most of the reviews of the CFR are pretty good. This is the same frame as the pedal force and a few other "house" brands.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts