Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a second year Cat4 road racer in the NYC area. I am considering cyclocross and really have no idea what bikes to consider, what to expect, etc...

I use to mountain bike in Park City UT and Evergreen CO. I am a master 50 next month. I am a better than average Cat4 but not a frequent podium guy.

Thinking it might be nice to have some racing during the road off season.

Regarding the bike I would like to stay under $3K.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Administrator
12,953 Posts
Redline Conquest Pro. Use the rest of the money for some tubulars. :)

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
I'd try it out on a MTB or a borrowed cross bike before dropping some coin. If you decide you like cross buy a bike based on what you like about your road bike. There are a lot of good bikes out there, you just need to find the one that fits your needs. I personally have long legs and a short torso so I need a taller headtube to keep from having 9 million spacers under the stem, that and I like higher BB's so that drove my choice for my new frame. Get back to us when you decide to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
175 Posts
wibly wobly said:
Try it on anything you can find. Buy something later if needs be. Chances are, you'll be shopping pretty soon after you first race.
+1

A friend of mine warned me at the start line of my first 'cx race, "quit now before you get hooked".

All it takes is one race to determine whether you hate it or if you're going to do it forever.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
It's tons of fun.

Especially when the series points leader has a mechanical and gets beaten by a guy on a 26" MTB in his first CX race.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
old_fuji said:
It's tons of fun.

Especially when the series points leader has a mechanical and gets beaten by a guy on a 26" MTB in his first CX race.
You are obviously a serious talent, I say go pro.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
You are obviously a serious talent, I say go pro.
Talent?

Hell, I was lucky to stay on my bike the whole race. He snapped a chain 2 laps in, and I just barely finished 3 laps.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
$3,000 buys a lot, and there are a ton of options out there. I suggest a bike in the $1,500 to $2,000 range and upgrading the wheels and tires. I like SRAM Rival or Ultegra drivetrains for cross, but certainly you can get by with less, or more for that matter.

Here is an example, but remember to test ride before you buy. Salsa Chili Con Cross built with Rival ($2k), set of box section tubulars (<$400) and some Grifos (<$200 glued). This setup is close to pro and in your price range. NYC Velo sells Salsa and Kona and both are great cross brands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts