Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My random conspiracy theory du semaine: Giro, Bell, et al. paid off the UCI to force the riders to wear helmets, for marketing reasons. Tongue in cheek, a bit, I have no evidence whatsoever to support this, but seriously, what better advertising can you think of?

Who would buy a $190 Atmos if it wasn't the gear you see a bunch of pro teams wearing?

Amateurs have always liked to emulate the pros, buy their kit, get "the right stuff," etc. When they figured out to turn protective "styrofoam hats," as ben so eloquently put it recently, into fashion accessories, they could at last generate sales on three-digit helmets. Special-edition lone star Atrmos for $270, anyone?

And, yet, they do look so much more badass than those original '80's Giro things...

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
wzq622 said:
werd. Those sick monsters...
and those god forsaken SADDLES! i mean jeez, do we really need saddles?!

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Kiviliev...

mohair_chair said:
I'm sure they also conspired to have Andrei Kivilev killed. They will stop at nothing.
Andre would have died even if he had been wearing a helmet.

You would paid $270 for a Lone Star Atmos?? I have only one thing to say about that. SUCKER!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a Fred helmet if I ever saw one, that just screams, "I know all about Lance and nothing else". Not that the Atmos isn't a great helmet, but I'd never pay that much for one with a "special" paint job, heck no.

Mandatory helmets were put into place for safety. That's it.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
magnolialover said:
Would he? They were going uphill at something like 35 kph, he fell and hit the ground somewhat akwardly. It's like people dying after getting a fist to the head, hit the right spot and it's lethal, a helmet would have covered that and may not even crack from the impact. But as we can't repeat the exact circumstances leading to his death it's all speculation of course..

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
From what I heard...

rogger said:
Would he? They were going uphill at something like 35 kph, he fell and hit the ground somewhat akwardly. It's like people dying after getting a fist to the head, hit the right spot and it's lethal, a helmet would have covered that and may not even crack from the impact. But as we can't repeat the exact circumstances leading to his death it's all speculation of course..
From the reports I remember reading, when he landed, he essentially separated the bottom of his skull from his spine, causing death. The separation occurred because of the force of the impact, not so much from how his head impacted the pavement. There were some out there who were saying that if he had been wearing a helmet it might have been "worse", although, the poor guy died how much worse could it have been? It was the sudden "stopping" of him hitting the ground that did it, and a helmet wouldn't have helped in that case, at least like I said, that's what I remember reading, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But hey, give me a helmet anyway, it ain't gonna hurt is it? Although there are some out there that would argue that with you as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I guess I come from an era where helmets are required. My mom always told me to wear my helmet, I guess it payed off because I got the scars to proove it from BMX biking with older friends, MTB riding and now road biking. I guess the one main reason I wear my hemet every ride..... BRAIN DAMAGE LASTS A LIFE TIME... I understand what your saying that Bell and Giro up the prices on helmets, but its all a matter of how much a sucker you are to look like a pro... I feel $75 - $150 the maximum is an ok price for a helmet, but remember its your life your taking into your hands when you do not wear your hemet

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Just remember that the cheapest helmet sold in the US meets the same safety requirement as the most expensive. When you buy an expensive helmet, you are not buying a safer helmet. You do get lighter weight, better airflow, more radical styling, and a better adjustment system.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
magnolialover said:
Maybe. After the fact there are always plenty of knowledgable people who are espouse both positions - "A helmet would have saved him" or "He would have died anyway." If you were the sanctioning spokesman, however, would you rather be able to offer the explaination that you had done everything possible or have to give the excuse that "He would have died anyway."?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
magnolialover said:
It was the sudden "stopping" of him hitting the ground that did it, and a helmet wouldn't have helped in that case, .
But that's precisely what a helmet does. When your head hits the pavement the polystyrene foam sacrifices itself to slow down the impact to your head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why conspiracy theory when...

Argentius said:
My random conspiracy theory du semaine: Giro, Bell, et al. paid off the UCI to force the riders to wear helmets, for marketing reasons. Tongue in cheek, a bit, I have no evidence whatsoever to support this, but seriously, what better advertising can you think of?

Who would buy a $190 Atmos if it wasn't the gear you see a bunch of pro teams wearing?

Amateurs have always liked to emulate the pros, buy their kit, get "the right stuff," etc. When they figured out to turn protective "styrofoam hats," as ben so eloquently put it recently, into fashion accessories, they could at last generate sales on three-digit helmets. Special-edition lone star Atrmos for $270, anyone?

And, yet, they do look so much more badass than those original '80's Giro things...
Good old lobbying is legal (Abramoff not withstanding), efficient and cheap... well, considering the returns. Funny how some comments to your post are loaded with such heavy sarcasm (probably in an attempt at wit), you'd believe Bell were above using one of the oldest weapon in Corporate America's arsenal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kinda morbid....

magnolialover said:
There were some out there who were saying that if he had been wearing a helmet it might have been "worse", although, the poor guy died how much worse could it have been?.
I'm sorry but I actually laughed at that.(not at him dying)I mean I guess he could have burst into flames on impact. :D Death is about as suckey as it gets.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*I* didn't pay that much, I don't have one, but I looked at the price tag on one at the LBS and laughed a good one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts