Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is a new issue. So it's a house built in 1930. I noticed the steps are seperating from the stringer that isn't attached to the wall. I pulled the old plaster board off to expose what's going wrong.

So obviously a lot of issues. With old wood, disintegrating. I've added a quick threaded rod 7/16 to help anchor the stringers to each other at the place it seems the worse. I also added L brackets to support the steps.

Do you think I can rebuild the sub structure in place? Using proper bracing techniques? Or should I go crazy and hire a real contractor to handle this major problem?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksdazxvy

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
From my handyman, non-contractor skills, it looks like you could use a four-by post (placed at the bottom of the handrail) to support the joists. It appears a wierd configuration where those joists intersect. I think you could just replace those two-bys and re-drywall. There's an art to drywalling to get it flush and smooth. I stink at it.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
I would like to see these on a larger screen to be more certain, but I think what I see is your stringers are grooved to recieve treads and risers.

So one possible repair would involve cutting stringers and applying under. This would create a possible clearance and drywall finishing problem.

When I get to a bigger screen I will try to take a look.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hard to see all the problems with the pics provided, and I rarely look at jobs this old. From what I can see I would recommend rebuilding, especially if you plan on keeping the property long term. Anything else is a bandaid.

BTW, I'm a GC, 26 years and counting.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks el scorcho. Yea I'm looking at it and bandaid isn't looking possible . Thanks

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
I would like to see these on a larger screen to be more certain, but I think what I see is your stringers are grooved to recieve treads and risers.

So one possible repair would involve cutting stringers and applying under. This would create a possible clearance and drywall finishing problem.

When I get to a bigger screen I will try to take a look.
are you talking about mortised stringers? I don't think so, there are wedges and glue involved with them and i see no wedges.Frankly, as far as I am concerned, mortising the stringers for the tread and riders is the only correct way to build a set of closed stairs although I would guess that only one in every 500 is built that way no, I have built 7 sets of stairs that way and none have ever as much as developed a squeak let alone a loose tread. The added bonus is that a well built set is self supporting and does not really require a supporting wall, it is supported from the ends.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Looks like he has a couple of boards with dry rot, just replace them. It looks like the stair treads are just falling off because why, he doesn't show. Are they fall ing off, i don't know.

If the stairs are failing, permanently fix them by making them metal.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My goal is to first use 2 more tie rods to anchor the outside stringer to the wall stringer. That will at least keep it from moving any more.
Then because it looks like I can access steps from the back I think I have two options. Option 1 is to use the threaded Rods to "pull" the outside stringer back into line. Option 2: is if I stabilize the stairs, and I can bring them back, then simply remove one step at a time and recut new longer ones to fit the new gap. With everything tied together it should work fine.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
"builder grade" stairs are very often nailed or screwed to cleats screwed or nailed to the stringers. Your plans of stabilization with threaded rod seems like it should work in the interim. But you may consider building new stairs at some point in time. Stairs are not hard to make.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"builder grade" stairs are very often nailed or screwed to cleats screwed or nailed to the stringers. Your plans of stabilization with threaded rod seems like it should work in the interim. But you may consider building new stairs at some point in time. Stairs are not hard to make.
I do plan on a full replacement. But I wanted to get time to get the money together. So I figure my plan will buy me time to get them properly rebuilt.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
and if you are paying a contractor, I would guess 3 grand and up, way up.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
If you are not as handy as T0G, when you get to thinking about replacement, it would be worth it to find the local stair fabricators.

We have two in our local market, and so long as you can all measure and agree on what the end product is supposed to fit like, often they are relatively cheap. We just purchased prebuilts for the Habitat house, & did the same on the last duplex.

On the Habitat house we even have some real carpenters who could build them, and they thought it was worth it to purchase the prebuilts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts