Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with consumer bike builds? A lawyer friend of mine is investigating a case where a five y/o kid suffered a ruptured pancreas.

The questions involve who may be responsible for the bike build and the brake cable specifically. The family bought that bike at a big-box store. Do the bikes come in built up? If they are built up by the store, do they come in individual kits? or do you get a pile of parts, and employees of the store build up the bike? Do the manufacturers typically provide instructions?
The issue, I gather, is the length of the cable for a handbrake on this thing. It seems to have been way long.
Please don't ask me what all happened, because I don't really know. I'm just trying to help a guy.

· Registered
3,083 Posts
In my experience (which is now 15 years old), bikes pretty much all come packed the same way: Rear wheel mounted in frame, brakes and cables and bars and shifters attached but not tight, front wheel off, small bag of parts (qr skewers, vbrake noodle, etc.)

The instructions would be awful at best (and I'm thinking of "bike shop" bikes when I say that).

When you buy a bike from walmart or target or toys r us, it had to come out of a box and be put together by someone. I did this as a clueless 19 year old at a sporting goods store. I was also "qualified" to drill holes in your bowling ball and string your tennis raquet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.