Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a continuing problem with losing contact lenses while racing or riding. It seems to happen when I change directions or get blasted by a cross wind. I've tried a variety of sunglasses, some m-frame knockoffs, and now I'm using some m-frames with a hybrid S lense. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on what to try? I'm maybe thinking of some racing jackets, they look pretty protective. Thanks for any advice.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
I use Oakley XX's. Prior to that, the sweep's. I've never had a problem.
I guess just make sure that the sunglasses sit high up your nose.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I am prone to dry eyes as well. I use some very light safety glasses that work quite well. They wrap around and have adjustable length and angle temples. Not cool, but very functional.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
TylerDurden said:
I'm having a continuing problem with losing contact lenses while racing or riding. It seems to happen when I change directions or get blasted by a cross wind. I've tried a variety of sunglasses, some m-frame knockoffs, and now I'm using some m-frames with a hybrid S lense. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on what to try? I'm maybe thinking of some racing jackets, they look pretty protective. Thanks for any advice.
It could be that your contacts aren't a good fit onto your eyeball. If you haven't had a recent exam, or the doctor from your last exam just didn't get it right, you probably should have another exam to see if your developing a stigmatism.
I've been riding with contacts and Oakley M frames using the regular hybrid lenses. I've never lost a lense in four years, riding in both Tucson, AZ, Scranton, PA, and Sanford ME. I've tried the Oakley Sweep style lenses and they just seemed to let in a draft/stream of air around the sides and under the nose piece.
Racing jackets might be worth a try, but they do have those vent holes in them, they can look awfully goofy if you don't have the George Hincapie head shape, and they're damn expensive.

·
I'm just watching a dream
138 Posts
I also wear contacts and even on rides when I forget my glasses I've never lost one. I think Jesse D may be onto something, sounds like a fit problem. I would try new contacts but then buy the racing jackets anyway because they are cool. (no I don't have a hincapie head, I just enjoy looking goofy:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had HUGE problems with this last year. I strongly considered prescription sunglasses, but my prescription is too high for pretty much everything. My optometrist had me try out different brands of contact lenses to see which was better. In my case I ended up switching to Biomedics from Acuvue because Biomedics are designed to move around the eye more than Acuvue. Whatever the reason may be, I haven't lost a contact lens since.

Of course the best solution is laser surgery. (Personally I like the option of having a legitimate reason to wear regular glasses because they can be pretty stylish sometimes :D )

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
I have the same problem. I carry some eyedrops with me in my jersey pocket and try to keep my eyes moisturized.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Biomedics

pavedroad said:
I had HUGE problems with this last year. I strongly considered prescription sunglasses, but my prescription is too high for pretty much everything. My optometrist had me try out different brands of contact lenses to see which was better. In my case I ended up switching to Biomedics from Acuvue because Biomedics are designed to move around the eye more than Acuvue. Whatever the reason may be, I haven't lost a contact lens since.

Of course the best solution is laser surgery. (Personally I like the option of having a legitimate reason to wear regular glasses because they can be pretty stylish sometimes :D )
Yeah, that's the brand I used also. At first I was p!ssed because I couldn't get them at the discount online shops, only at the eyedoctor. But they worked out very well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
+1 for checking the fit with your optometrist/ophthalmologist. Last year, I had to switch contact brands for one eye (long story), and found the new one always dried out, moved around, etc. It drove me crazy, and finally I went back to have it checked, and the size was not exactly right. The doctor changed my prescription and the ones work great. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have any of you ever thought about Lasik. I had it a little over a year ago and my only regret is that I hadn’t done it sooner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
can you give us a bit more info

type of contacts: rigid or soft?
brand?
used for extended wear?
are you tearing or dry when the contacts become dislodged?
always happens to the same eye, or can happen to both?

I also have contacts and dry eye problems (nothing severe), but have only lost a contact when I rubbed my eye.

I just don't think diff sun glasses are the answer. How about goggles :cool:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
tgiboney said:
Have any of you ever thought about Lasik. I had it a little over a year ago and my only regret is that I hadn’t done it sooner.
If I had insurance AND I could be completely confident that in ten or fifteen years they don't find out something bad that they don't know about now, I'd be more than happy to no longer be chained to contacts. Actually, at this point, if I just had insurance, I'd go for it. I haven't heard a single bad experience from cyclists who've had Lasik.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I too was a little worried about the long term effects but if you do some research on the web you will find that Lasik is 15 + years old and if done by a reputable Dr with reputable equipment the long term statistics are great. What you have to watch for is the fly by night places that come and go. I paid for mine by using my cafeteria plan which spread the payments over 2005 but I was able to get it done in February 2005. Something to think about if you have a cafeteria plan. If you live in the St Louis Missouri area or close I can highly recommend a Dr. IM if interested.

·
Registered
59 Posts
most insurance won't help you

Jesse D Smith said:
If I had insurance...
you might want to research this further, but most insurance companies consider this elective and won't pay for it. out of pocket, as in out of your pocket, for those who choose lasik. insurance will pay for glasses and contacts (to a certain point).

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm wearing focus dailies, which are soft and very thin. Before they fly out, they get dry, and sometimes i can hold them in with a lot of blinking. they're thin to the point that they only come in one curvature, so i think those of you that suggested it's a fit issue are on to something there. I'd like to get that surgery someday, but i'm 21 and my eyes are still getting progressively out of whack. i think you're supposed to wait til they sort of stabilize. thanks a lot for all the help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmmm... one size seems odd?!

TylerDurden said:
they're thin to the point that they only come in one curvature, ...
I wear both acuvue II's and focus dailies. I find that the dailies tend to dry out more than the acuvues. Your optometrist may give you a pair to try out... mine gives me samples of new lenses to try, but I've always come back to acuvue.

I'm not sure where you received the info that dailies only come in one size/curvature. I don't believe that's the case and could be the reason you're having problems with them. I actually have a difficult time removing my focus lenses at the end of the day since they seem to have a very tight fit and are more slippery than acuvue. Go back to the optometrist for a refitting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just for a little more help...I wear Acuvue Advance and I've never had a problem with them drying or coming out on rides. I don't wear sunglasses at times and they have still been fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Accuvue solved that problem for me too

I had "Focus" lenses by default, that's what the Dr. gave me. I figured all contact lenses dried out, that was just the nature of the beast.

Then I ordered "Accuvue Advance" lenses from 1-800-Contacts, and they were a heck of a lot better. They last a long time too. I take them out and clean them every night, and a single pair lasts for months. The Focus' would only last a few weeks before ripping.

Speaking of Lasik - yeah, I've never heard of an insurance company paying for it. Everyone I know who's had the procedure had to save up the $$$. My understanding is that after this surgery you'll typically need reading glasses at about age 40.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
About to have laser surgery

I have worn gas permeable lenses for a long time. My eyes are fairly bad. This past winter my lenses became so uncomfortable that I stopped wearing them, i wore my glasses and clip-on sunglasses exclusively. I also was very healthy this winter, I think because I was not picking at my eyes with fingers due to uncomfortable lenses. My vision has become progressively worse since not wearing contacts. 20/40 with current glasses. On my last exam my perscription was changed and not only that, now I need bifocals. Glasses alone were going to be $500. My brother in law is my Optometrist. "Let's talk surgery." He set me up with an appointment with a laser center he is affiliated with and they did an exam. Cataracts, both eyes. One Doc says congenital, BIL not so sure, he had never seen them in my eye and in 30 years of practice, never seen cataracts like mine.

If I need cataract surgery, I might get a lense implant. If congenital, they most likely will not change and I get PRK surgery, Lasik is not my best option. PRK has been FDA approved sinse '95. So I'm fairly confident that if something were wrong with the surgery I/BIL would know about it by now. As far as reading glasses, you can get mono vision or both the same strength correction. Mono gets you around reading glasses but distant vision is not as good as it could be. I can live with reading glasses, I have been living with glasses since 2nd grade. Most people in their 40's will need a reading glass at some point in the future, just a fact of life.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
LASIK, best money I've ever spent. I chose to fix both eyes to 20/20 because after trying monovision with contacts I knew I didn't want that. With 20/20 in both eyes depth perception is beautiful, but not with monovision. Generally LASIK can fix myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, but not presbyopia. The money you save from not buying contacts or prescription glasses will eventually more than pay for LASIK. And it is considered permanent, mine is guaranteed for life.

Al

1 - 20 of 29 Posts