Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm often blinded as air leaks under my Smith sunglasses and dries my contacts. I'm thinking a pair of glasses that fits more closely would be better. Perhaps Oakley Radar or M-Frame, for example. Any thoughts/suggestions from others who wear contacts?

·
Rub it............
3,929 Posts
I'm a contact wearer myself. My sunglasses are the Oakley Half Jackets with Polarized lenses. You want something that directs the air around your face. These work great for me.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This topic has been discussed several times before, so you might want to search for it. There have been quite a few recommendations about different kinds of contact lenses that seem to work better too. Also, you might try just blinking more.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
RGP contacts make my eyes quite sensitive to dust and to a lesser extent, wind.

I am quite happy with $20 sunglasses I found at Target, that feature a wrap-around, semi-frameless design. 100% UVA/UVB blocking, no lens distortions, etc. Why pay more ? :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Would it be possible for you to remove your contacts when you ride and just get a pair of prescription sunglasses? Or if your eyes aren't that bad, just get regular sunglasses and skip the contacts? I normally wear glasses, but I wear just cheap non-prescription sunglasses when I ride, and I do okay. But I guess if your eyes are really bad, that might not be an option for you.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Homenetman said:
Darn good question and just what a newbie needs to know - what is the difference between $20 Target and $100-150 Oakley glasses?
Profit margin and the name. I'm very happy with my ironman ones from Target too! Mine are the Triumph model - exactly what I was looking for.
I'm wearing Acuvue Advance, and they feel fine even without shades.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Homenetman said:
what is the difference between $20 Target and $100-150 Oakley glasses?
Fellow newbie to cycling, but at least on the water there's a big difference. Spending all day out in the sun with all that reflection with cheapo polarized glasses gives me a wicked headache. Fancy polarized ($150 range) glasses make a huge difference, but this is a pretty extreme circumstance compared to cycling. Glare bothers some people more than others, I guess. For the record, my current ~$180 Kaenon Kore glasses came as last year's model from Campmor for about 1/3 the price...

I am also a contact wearer but haven't had much of a problem - yet. I haven't built up yet to the point of being able to stay on a bike all day long but so far no real problem with dried out eyeballs using other glasses (my Kaenons are way too dark for this) that also wrap around.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I wear disposable contacts, and have had good luck with inexpensive, cycling specific glasses as long as they provide close & full coverage. If one dries up or blows out, it's no big deal for me. I don't need them for distance, just for reading.

·
Rub it............
3,929 Posts
Only reason I went for the $140 Polarized Half Jackets was my switch to contact lenses. My glasses had a glare minimizer applied to them. So I needed something to help minimize/eliminate the glare. Nothing else appealed to my tastes, and most polarized glasses like the Oakleys are about the same price, if not more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.