Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are no tests or reports to prove he is innocent... but if you'd just spent the past year fighting doping allegations and you had actually been doping, would you really have the stones to attack the Giro like AC has been doing?

He is kicking so much butt out there that he looks like he's doping, but why would he even want to bring that kind of attention onto himself?

If, maybe, he was really good, but doped a little, then stopped, you'd expect that he'd be holding back to be like a regular superstar rider without riding like he is doping. Maybe even feigning a difficulty here or there to look human.

This kind of performance will only attract scrutiny as if he is daring them to test him to show he is clean.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
There are no tests or reports to prove he is innocent... but if you'd just spent the past year fighting doping allegations and you had actually been doping, would you really have the stones to attack the Giro like AC has been doing?

He is kicking so much butt out there that he looks like he's doping, but why would he even want to bring that kind of attention onto himself?

If, maybe, he was really good, but doped a little, then stopped, you'd expect that he'd be holding back to be like a regular superstar rider without riding like he is doping. Maybe even feigning a difficulty here or there to look human.

This kind of performance will only attract scrutiny as if he is daring them to test him to show he is clean.

He was caught and suspended; then cleared by his motherland; now waiting for a verdict on the appeal.

Read: He was caught and suspended. Period.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then amend that:

Alberto Contador is a total F-ing moreon for riding like that with a doping charge hanging over his head.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Then amend that:

Alberto Contador is a total F-ing moreon for riding like that with a doping charge hanging over his head.
One has to wonder AC's incredible performance at Giro with the doping suspension hanging over his head.

No doubt about it.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
He is alleged to have used clenbuterol. Very minor league doping, actually a weight loss aid, it's not a performance enhancer. I know lots of BBers who use it. It does nothing for performance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Somebody should look for a secret motor on his bike, 'cause there ain;t no drug on this earth that can produce these results.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If he was just cheating with clenbuterol, he's just that good to begin with and won't have any problem simply not using it this time around. If the traces of clenbuterol were a lingering result of a blood transfusion, he'll just be more careful and again not take clenbuterol, in which cause he'll still have his transfusions to get him by. And of course, if he accidentally got it into his system by eating meat, he's just unlucky. Either way, it was expected he would do well again this year.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Maybe someone should ask Lance for his input on AC?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Maybe someone should ask Lance for his input on AC?
It'll never come out of him.

I can agree with the OP as things can easily be implicitly headed in such a direction, but it's too soon to say because at the same time there's a certain 7-time Tour winner who was under scrutiny and still kicking ass at the same time. And right now, the heat hasn't fallen off his back just yet.

Real question is would Contador just dope up for a last stand of (false) satisfaction through a Giro win? It just seems dumb on all accounts, but you never know. Contador's strong showings have always looked supernatural, and we can never be too sure about how it comes about.

Weirdly all coming from an AC fan.

·
Registered
545 Posts
yeah with the help of some new super drug with blood transfusions, his own, not some others a la hamilton.
he is not just using clen...duh...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
He is alleged to have used clenbuterol. Very minor league doping, actually a weight loss aid, it's not a performance enhancer. I know lots of BBers who use it. It does nothing for performance.
since the game for climbers is to increase your power/weight ratio, losing weight enhances performance as much as gains in power.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I like Contador, but his repeat attack ability is much higher than before - this is a trademark effect of EPO and transfusion usage.

I'm inclined to think that he has found a very, very good Preprator with the help of Riis (Mr. 60%). I'm starting to wonder if there is a Balco like lab which is able to produce exogeneous EPO that falls within the WADA specs for endogenous EPO with the current electrophoresis test methods.

Riders also can be grouped into high responders and low responders. Armstrong and Contador are probably in a class of their own in terms of their response to EPO.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Go back and read post #2.

There is no 'alleged'.

He. Got. Caught.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Agree, and also agree with others that his ability to attack so explosively on such steep grades, over and over, is kinda ridiculous.
And he does it day after day.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If he was just cheating with clenbuterol, he's just that good to begin with and won't have any problem simply not using it this time around. If the traces of clenbuterol were a lingering result of a blood transfusion, he'll just be more careful and again not take clenbuterol, in which cause he'll still have his transfusions to get him by. And of course, if he accidentally got it into his system by eating meat, he's just unlucky. Either way, it was expected he would do well again this year.
There are obviously folks on here who still don't understand the real significance of his testing positive for traces of clenbuterol, just as you can't understand the full meaning of Landis' positive in the Tour if you think he actually used testosterone the day or night before and got busted.

We are not talking about a little extra testosterone through a patch, or a weight loss drug. We are talking about sophisticated blood transfusions over time--the creme de la creme of all doping practices. The rest of the drugs all have smaller, incremental effects compared to adding blood. The next biggie is the new forms of EPO, but they have to be more careful with that stuff and are probably using microdoses over time.

I'm about as inclined to believe Contador is clean right now as I am to believe Armstrong is innocent--which is pretty much zero.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
If Contador was so fast before he tested positive and abruptly slows down after he is caught/vindicated, I would think THAT would be more suspicious and in-line with him being a doper.

Going from dominating nearly every race, to testing positive and cleared of charges, to not winning races anymore implies he was doping and stopped/pulled back his routine. A consistent performance is less likely to be suspicious than a sudden drop in performance after being caught for doping.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts