Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Didn't Contador ask for this. My guess is Armstrong is playing the nice guy now.

It's anyone's guess as to whether Armstrong will try and be team leader at the tour.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jorgy said:
Didn't Contador ask for this. My guess is Armstrong is playing the nice guy now.
Yeah I heard that Contador did ask for it. I guess he wanted to get the first set of mind games over and done with, not to mention all the press attention. Or maybe he wants to ace Amstrong and show Astana what they'd be missing putting too much emphasis on Lance.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Armstrong will push Contador off the road and that will be the end of that.
Into some ice too might I add.

That comment really made me LOL after remembering the .gif image posted in the Lounge.

It should be fun to watch alright. Although, what goes on internally might be totally different but rest assured that we'll hear the 'correct' answer for whatever happens though.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It's anyone's guess as to whether Armstrong will try and be team leader at the tour

Old habits die hard.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rollinrob said:
Old habits die hard.....
Sure, but no one can complain about the effort he put in during the Tour of California as a domestique for Levi.

But Armstrong said he did find it harder than being the leader, “The team riding in the front for the entire race really takes a toll, and you can’t recover the same as a rider who is sitting on someone else’s wheel. I’ve spent 15 years sitting on people’s wheels, so it felt good to be up front and pulling weight. It might be good for me personally too,” Armstrong suggested.

·
Registered
57 Posts
RoadCyclingNZ said:
Sure, but no one can complain about the effort he put in during the Tour of California as a domestique for Levi.

But Armstrong said he did find it harder than being the leader, “The team riding in the front for the entire race really takes a toll, and you can’t recover the same as a rider who is sitting on someone else’s wheel. I’ve spent 15 years sitting on people’s wheels, so it felt good to be up front and pulling weight. It might be good for me personally too,” Armstrong suggested.

Did you watch most of the race? Lance rode just like he always did in the past. Near the front of the peloton, but behind most of team team. The only teammate he wasn't riding behind: LeviStrong. Postal and Discovery always rode in the front in stage races. Oh, Lance rode about the same way in the TdU too. Old habits die hard.

I don't see how you would conclude he put in more of an effort than normal, if anything he was just trying to stay in the top 10 since he rode pretty well in both TTs. YMMV, but I saw very little extra effort. I did see some moving to better picture locations, especially when Kreutz was snapping away.

·
Registered
388 Posts
lance stays on the front to stay out of the **** that happens at the back....always has, always will. I don't see that indicative of his effort or lack thereof.

In fact those who have watched intently know that back in the day lance used to take plenty of pulls on the front, sometimes as long as a minute, where others were puffing out at 30 seconds. I'm not saying he was his own domestique, just saying....i saw lance do tons of work at AToC and elsewhere throughout his career...

Anyway, Who was the team leader at the Giro for Astana last year? In my opinion there wasn;t one. the team was riding to keep levi and alby up in the gc...then when it comes down to it...the stronger rider goes forth....why does their need to be a "leader" and why does that person have to be the be all end all. I think lance is actually taking some gratification in getting someone to the line in first place .......this is human....when you help a teamate reach victory you share in that glory.......i think lance does too....hes not a kid anymore he is a grown man....all of this immaturity speak that we are seeing about the argument for a team leader is garbage....lance is back to racing because he is good at and he likes it...it is a pretty sweet life you know(most of us dream of it) AND he has taken it upon himself to use his celebrity to promote his fundrasing for caner research -- very noble.

Besides everyone knows lance wants to win the giro to shut up all the silly italians....hes won the tour so many times....hes looking for something new....lance will win the giro and ride for contador and as his backup if something goes wrong....the end....

·
Registered
336 Posts
I personally saw a LOT of Lance on the front, he was working his ass off. How else do you think you get into top shape after three years off.

To say he is sitting behind his teammates all the time is complete crap.
Brian

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
deltasierra said:
Did you watch most of the race? Lance rode just like he always did in the past. Near the front of the peloton, but behind most of team team. The only teammate he wasn't riding behind: LeviStrong. Postal and Discovery always rode in the front in stage races. Oh, Lance rode about the same way in the TdU too. Old habits die hard.

I don't see how you would conclude he put in more of an effort than normal, if anything he was just trying to stay in the top 10 since he rode pretty well in both TTs. YMMV, but I saw very little extra effort. I did see some moving to better picture locations, especially when Kreutz was snapping away.
You obviously didn't watch the races.

TdU - he was part of several failed breakaway attempts
ToC - Astana was obligated to pace the peleton much of the race, when they were, he did his time up front. When Astana wasn't protecting, he nor the rest of the team were up front.

Not like the way he rode to his TdF victories.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
grrrah said:

ToC - Astana was obligated to pace the peleton much of the race, when they were, he did his time up front. When Astana wasn't protecting, he nor the rest of the team were up front.

Too much hateraid. Seeing one of his first posts was as a self professed "Lance Hater" you probably should take anything he says here too seriously.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
Coolhand said:
Too much hateraid. Seeing one of his first posts was as a self professed "Lance Hater" you probably should take anything he says here too seriously.
True, anyone who does not believe the myth should not be taken seriously.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Coolhand said:
ahh, I see. well, hater or fanboy, I was just questioning his race spectating abilities.

bigpinkt - I don't believe the myth, and since I am still a fanboy (according to digger), I can't be taken seriously? well, that actually fits in this case, so never mind me.

147 Posts
RoadCyclingNZ said:

This is not new - there was a certain tom danielson at tour of Georgia. Lance worked for him - remember he crossed a lone and pointed to a clock . . . .

147 Posts
repartocorse40 said:
Besides everyone knows lance wants to win the giro to shut up all the silly italians....hes won the tour so many times....hes looking for something new....lance will win the giro and ride for contador and as his backup if something goes wrong....the end....
The giro is nice, but he can win that after Flanders, Roubaix and an attempt at the hour - on an old bike none of this aero stuff. And don't give me the whole - riders are different today thing. . . . . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
bikesarethenewblack said:
This is not new - there was a certain tom danielson at tour of Georgia. Lance worked for him - remember he crossed a lone and pointed to a clock . . . .
TdU, ToC, Tour de Georgia. Sorry boys and girls, these are not world class events. And I'm an American. How about that time George could have used a little help at Paris-Roubiax? Don't remember Lance sitting in the front of the pack pulling the sled. Those of us who think Lance is bad for the sport will never convince those of you that think otherwise. However, many of us have a tenet for thinking about Lance - everything he does, it's about him. That holds even when he makes it seem otherwise, whether cancer, Levi, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
grrrah said:

It's peloton.

I guess we saw different races.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
deltasierra said:
It's peloton.

I guess we saw different races.

He wasn't in top shape. He pulled a lot at the front from time to time and protected Levi. It's very different from when he was the leader before where he was the protected rider and only worried about staying upright and finishing near the front.

Now, he is protected in a way so that he would be able to protect Levi as one of the chief domestiques.

Also, he did attack a fair bit at the TdU actually but the attempts failed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts