Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He finished 39 seconds behind winner Marco Pinotti.

Too bad EuroSports didn't show the podium. :mad2:

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I mean, Eurosports are NOT showing the podium on tv for me. Yeah.
Thanks

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Well, I never would have thought he could take another 2 minutes out of Ricco on a shorter, less demanding course. Sets Contador up nicely for a chance to win all 3 GTs. I gotta imagine he'll romp all over the Vuelta.

How about Brusegin finishing on the podium? Surprises me. I wonder how Cunego would have done this Giro had he decided to ride (though I'm glad he's doing the Tour)

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Einstruzende said:
Well, I never would have thought he could take another 2 minutes out of Ricco on a shorter, less demanding course. Sets Contador up nicely for a chance to win all 3 GTs. I gotta imagine he'll romp all over the Vuelta.

How about Brusegin finishing on the podium? Surprises me. I wonder how Cunego would have done this Giro had he decided to ride (though I'm glad he's doing the Tour)
I think Ricco also was not really up to it today so that allowed Contador to take more time than he might have had Ricco went all out. Just what I think though.

The Vuelta would be really 'easy' for him to take especially since he's gunning for it and there's practically no one to challenge him at that too.

Levi? Hah, Alberto would hardly want to lose his home Tour to Levi anyway but would Kloden go for it too?

Bruseghin was lucky as heck! Pelizotti almost beat him but he hung on by a whisker. Nice one!

How well can Cunego TT anyway? I'm not sure but he'd definitely be amongst the podium I guess.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
uzziefly said:
I think Ricco also was not really up to it today so that allowed Contador to take more time than he might have had Ricco went all out. Just what I think though.
Pretty much the result that was predicted by the flat part of the first time trial, so the logical conclusion is Contador simply has a better power/aero drag ratio than Ricco. Ricco was mostly better than him uphill so obviously better power/weight ratio goes to Ricco.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Pretty much the result that was predicted by the flat part of the first time trial, so the logical conclusion is Contador simply has a better power/aero drag ratio than Ricco. Ricco was mostly better than him uphill so obviously better power/weight ratio goes to Ricco.
I won't be too sure to say Ricco is better than him uphill as I'd like to see Alberto and Ricco both at 100% fitness and going for it to decide.

That would be really awesome to watch.

· Banned
923 Posts
How to prepare for a GT win - acquire hayfever and a dental infection so bad you have to see the dentist at least once during the race, spend the preceding weeks on the beach not on the bike and during the race fall off and fracture your elbow. Oh and if you're a climber don't attack once in the mountains, instead turn into the new Indurain of the TTs. Amazing.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Bianchigirl said:
How to prepare for a GT win - acquire hayfever and a dental infection so bad you have to see the dentist at least once during the race, spend the preceding weeks on the beach not on the bike and during the race fall off and fracture your elbow. Oh and if you're a climber don't attack once in the mountains, instead turn into the new Indurain of the TTs. Amazing.
Bianchigirl is dead on. Great analysis! :thumbsup:

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
corky said:
So Le Tour will not be won by the current best stage-racer this year....... it is now a 2nd rate race, well this year anyway.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Giro.... great race!
It'll still be good. Cunego is training specifically for the Tour. Evans might finally take that last step, Valverde has finally finished a Tour and could do something. He's pretty good against TT, above average climber and sprinter as well.

Look at it this way, if Astana had been invited to the Tour, you can bet your bottom dollar that Contador wouldn't have shown up for the Giro. Because of that one decision we could actually have a rider that has won all 3 GTs, including 2 in a year.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Because of that one decision we could actually have a rider that has won all 3 GTs, including 2 in a year.
Assuming Conti wins the Vuelta, anyone know the last rider to win all three grand tours within a two-year period? (I'm assuming no rider has ever hat-tricked all 3 GTs in one season.)

· Registered
447 Posts
Einstruzende said:
It'll still be good. Cunego is training specifically for the Tour. Evans might finally take that last step, Valverde has finally finished a Tour and could do something. He's pretty good against TT, above average climber and sprinter as well.
I think Menchov will have an excellent Tour this year now that he has a lot of miles in his legs after the Giro. He wasn't doing that bad at all in the Giro and he was only using it as build-up for the Tour so he'll surely come out swinging in July.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Assuming Conti wins the Vuelta, anyone know the last rider to win all three grand tours within a two-year period? (I'm assuming no rider has ever hat-tricked all 3 GTs in one season.)
I don't believe anyone has ever won the Vuelta and Giro in the same year since up until relatively recently they were both in the spring. There are 4 riders who have won all three; Merckx, Hinault and Anquetil and it looks like they all won all 3 in a 2 year period. Only one who did not was Gimondi.

I just looked it up. I'm wrong, Battaglin won both the Giro and Vuelta in 1981.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Einstruzende said:
It'll still be good.
From a purely sporting perspective the Giro has been a better race than the Tour just about every year for the last decade. Having the "big" rider doesn't make for a better race. Just think of how uninteresting most of Armstrong's wins were and Basso's other worldly Giro. Parity makes for interesting races, and sometimes that means no "superstar" is better.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.