Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized that I have over 10,000 miles on my 700 x 32 Conti City Contacts. I commute about 3,000 miles per year in the Northwest in all seasons, conditions. I only have one short climb (less than half a mile in my 38 x 23) otherwise it's pretty flat and mostly MUT (factor in a few skidding panic stops to avoid college students wandering around with iPods). They show almost no wear (I haven't bothered to rotate them) and have never flatted (I'm not even gonna bother knocking wood). I weigh 145 and keep them around 70 psi. They've outlasted the rear Mavic MA3 rim. Anyway, thumbs up for a commute tire. I figure they'll probably go another 10,000. I don't think Conti make this exact model anymore but they seem to have several that are close.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
That's pretty amazing!

·
170 Posts
This is great to hear. I still have the original Continental Town & Country tires that came on my touring bike and I have no idea how many miles. I've taken that bike everywhere, including some rocky mountain roads and singletrack, and I've only ever had one flat!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeatD said:
This is great to hear. I still have the original Continental Town & Country tires that came on my touring bike and I have no idea how many miles. I've taken that bike everywhere, including some rocky mountain roads and singletrack, and I've only ever had one flat!
yeah, they replaced some old Town and Countries that were probably 10 or 15 years old and were starting to rot a bit.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crossracer said:
wow that is great. did you rotate them front to rear or have they both been in the same place?
I don't believe I've rotated them, maybe once but not more. I do that with my skinny (700x25) tires on my road bikes but it looks like these may simply rot off first.

·
Registered
21,624 Posts
Front tire wear

Henry Chinaski said:
Just realized that I have over 10,000 miles on my 700 x 32 Conti City Contacts. They show almost no wear (I haven't bothered to rotate them) and have never flatted
Front tires hardly wear at all. Tire wear is due to the scrubbing of rubber from the tread due to power transmission or cornering forces. The only power transmission a front tire sees is due to braking forces, and unless you're doing a lot of hard stops at the bottom of steep hills, this is not an issue. At your weight, neither braking nor cornering forces will be high. I have put 6,000 miles on a 23mm front tire with essentially zero wear (virtually no weight loss compared to the tire when it was new).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts