Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need some help deciding on which color Continental Grand Prix 4000 tire to get. A recent post said that the metallic silver tread turned to a dirty grey in no time. Anyone have any experience with the other colors they'd like to share? Any side-view pictures to post (Conti only provides a tread-view picture)? The local shop only carries black and blue.

I have a 2005 Trek Madone SL 5.2 with some metalic silver paint and metalic gold highlights. I was thinking that the metallic gold tires might look nice -- but not if they turned into a dirty pumpkin color. Maybe metallic blue.

The conti-tyres.co.uk web site lists 700x25 in a Black Reflective colour. This could add some serious bling to my ride. Anyone seen this? In a 700x23?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Buster Groove said:
Hi All,

I need some help deciding on which color Continental Grand Prix 4000 tire to get. A recent post said that the metallic silver tread turned to a dirty grey in no time. Anyone have any experience with the other colors they'd like to share? Any side-view pictures to post (Conti only provides a tread-view picture)? The local shop only carries black and blue.

I have a 2005 Trek Madone SL 5.2 with some metalic silver paint and metalic gold highlights. I was thinking that the metallic gold tires might look nice -- but not if they turned into a dirty pumpkin color. Maybe metallic blue.

The conti-tyres.co.uk web site lists 700x25 in a Black Reflective colour. This could add some serious bling to my ride. Anyone seen this? In a 700x23?
God intended for tires to be black. Black. Gum walls are the exception to the black thing. Black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I just got a pair of Metallic Blue GP4000s last week and popped them onto my horse. They look smoking with my blue Felt F60. The metallic Blue matches very well. They have a light blue but it looked a bit faded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmmmmmmm

alienator said:
God intended for tires to be black. Black. Gum walls are the exception to the black thing. Black.
Hmmm. So your Jockey underwear is probably still all white. And your kitchen appliances too. And you have a black Model-T in the garage? When you shine your shoes, only "boot black" will do I bet. The only good titanium bike is a titanium colored one! The only good Commie is one that's red!

Well, I for one just might vote with my dollars and buy into a more colorful world! ( -- unless you guys don't think I should???? ;-)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Buster Groove said:
Hmmm. So your Jockey underwear is probably still all white. And your kitchen appliances too. And you have a black Model-T in the garage? When you shine your shoes, only "boot black" will do I bet. The only good titanium bike is a titanium colored one! The only good Commie is one that's red!

Well, I for one just might vote with my dollars and buy into a more colorful world! ( -- unless you guys don't think I should???? ;-)
White underwear is an unforgiveable sin, especially when, just as momma said, some ER tech or nurse might cut off your tighty whities and see just how bad your exhaust was before or after the accident.

Kitchen appliances should be stainless steel.

What's a garage?

Shine my shoes? A fate worse than death is having to wear shoes that need shining.

Ti is the best color for ti, and black best suits ti.

I am in favor of Chris King stopping all production on headsets not colored pink.

Blue can be ok on tires, but it has to come from heat cycling and tire shagging......none of which you'll get from riding a bicycle. But when you're on a machine that does it, it looks great, especially with blue/black balls of tire snot along the edges.

I like brown when it's the shade of Iman or Vivica Fox.

Ducati Red.....which used to be Ferrari Red.....is ok to use.

And knitted leg warmers should be light earth tones or pastels.;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
alienator said:
White underwear is an unforgiveable sin, especially when, just as momma said, some ER tech or nurse might cut off your tighty whities and see just how bad your exhaust was before or after the accident.

Kitchen appliances should be stainless steel.

What's a garage?

Shine my shoes? A fate worse than death is having to wear shoes that need shining.

Ti is the best color for ti, and black best suits ti.

I am in favor of Chris King stopping all production on headsets not colored pink.

Blue can be ok on tires, but it has to come from heat cycling and tire shagging......none of which you'll get from riding a bicycle. But when you're on a machine that does it, it looks great, especially with blue/black balls of tire snot along the edges.

I like brown when it's the shade of Iman or Vivica Fox.

Ducati Red.....which used to be Ferrari Red.....is ok to use.

And knitted leg warmers should be light earth tones or pastels.;)
Oh, and when I said God, I meant one of the only two gods recognized by all of mankind: Eddie Merckx. The other one would be Mila Jovovich.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,105 Posts
Buster Groove said:
Well, I for one just might vote with my dollars and buy into a more colorful world! ( -- unless you guys don't think I should???? ;-)
I think you should also insist on a wide spectrum of exciting colors for you car tires... I mean really... what's up with that boring black crap?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rruff said:
I think you should also insist on a wide spectrum of exciting colors for you car tires... I mean really... what's up with that boring black crap?
Yes, I'm with you brother Ruff. I like big old whitewalls, but never did expand my mind to consider colorwalls.

Being an environmentalist, I am still in awe of the guy who coated his car with grass seed and obtained that delicate green hue of the tender young sprout.
http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1726
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I like Yellow

alienator said:
Oh, and when I said God, I meant one of the only two gods recognized by all of mankind: Eddie Merckx. The other one would be Mila Jovovich.
Alienator dont you mean Vincente Fox? I was in Tucson last weekend and guess who tried to do a hit and run on our rental car and then broke into our second rental? Nice town though but I think my freinds were right. Oh yeh by the way yellow Vittoria's look great on my Giant....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Carbonsnail said:
Alienator dont you mean Vincente Fox? I was in Tucson last weekend and guess who tried to do a hit and run on our rental car and then broke into our second rental? Nice town though but I think my freinds were right. Oh yeh by the way yellow Vittoria's look great on my Giant....
Wow. Bigotry, stereotyping, and general social ignorance raise their ugly heads, eh? Gee, I'm going to guess that you think an illegal immigrant broke into your rental. Hmmmm. Apparently they must all be criminals, right? Is that the implication?

Maybe you ought to keep your yellow Giant w/ yellow Vittorias somewhere comfortably inside Whitebread America. Arizona is a nice place and doesn't need to be polluted by people with racial sensibilities such as your own.

Frankly, you disgust me, and I think it would be safe to say that the vast majority of illegals have more backbone and character than you.

The people sportin' white cloaks and burning crosses must be beating a path to your door to get you to join.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
141 Posts
Amen brother!!

alienator said:
Wow. Bigotry, stereotyping, and general social ignorance raise their ugly heads, eh? Gee, I'm going to guess that you think an illegal immigrant broke into your rental. Hmmmm. Apparently they must all be criminals, right? Is that the implication?

Maybe you ought to keep your yellow Giant w/ yellow Vittorias somewhere comfortably inside Whitebread America. Arizona is a nice place and doesn't need to be polluted by people with racial sensibilities such as your own.

Frankly, you disgust me, and I think it would be safe to say that the vast majority of illegals have more backbone and character than you.

The people sportin' white cloaks and burning crosses must be beating a path to your door to get you to join.
Well said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
alienator said:
Wow. Bigotry, stereotyping, and general social ignorance raise their ugly heads, eh? Gee, I'm going to guess that you think an illegal immigrant broke into your rental. Hmmmm. Apparently they must all be criminals, right? Is that the implication?

Maybe you ought to keep your yellow Giant w/ yellow Vittorias somewhere comfortably inside Whitebread America. Arizona is a nice place and doesn't need to be polluted by people with racial sensibilities such as your own.

Frankly, you disgust me, and I think it would be safe to say that the vast majority of illegals have more backbone and character than you.

The people sportin' white cloaks and burning crosses must be beating a path to your door to get you to join.
Hey Alienator: Just kidding. I missed going to church that weekend so I put that comment there hoping to get a fire and brimstone sermon from you to make up for me not being there. I really had a nice time in Tucson with no mishaps to myself nor vehciles while there. I only wish that I could have been able to check out some of it's LBS's. Oh yeah I don't really have a major problem with immigrants being that both my parents were immigrants themselves (Brasil and Panama) sir you do do this country, site and your hero George Bush great credit by being a beacon to America's virtues. Godbless yea, and we'll keep a lite on for yea out here. Oh yeah what's a sportin white cloak?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
More grey than silver

I just mounted a silver GP4000. It is more grey than silver (which I am happy about), but I would hardly describe it as dirty grey. The picture shows the tire with about 300 miles - you be the judge. On a more interesting note, the tire seems to perform as well as the 3000. I read a few reviews that claimed that the compound was harder and consequently did not grip as well. I can't say I agree. If you like the 3000, you'll like this equally well, especially if it proves to be as cut resistant as claimed.

Cheers.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top