Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Gurus,

I'm looking for my next set of fast training/racing tires. I don't race enought to warrent a race specific tire so durability, punture resistance, and speed are my primary concerns. I currently ride tufo tub/clinchers on on wheelset and Hutch Carbon Comps on the other. The Hutchies roll much faster, have worn pretty well, but look more cut up than one of Mike Tyson's opponents. I have a set of protons, eurus, and a custom set of Nobium/ritcheys I'm working on (thanks Troy) so I need a pair that are not going to break my thumbs getting them onto campy wheels. I've read that Contis and Mich tires are both PITAs to mount.True? Anyone out there with experience with both? which will wear the best? Thanks!

JR

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:
I've read that Contis and Mich tires are both PITAs to mount.True?
I think this depends on the particular tire/wheel combination. Conti Attack/Force were a b!tch to get on my DA wheels, but I can put them on my Zipp 404s by hand. GP4000 also go on my Ksyrium ES by hand.

If you're not racing that much or want a good all around fast-training/racing tire, I think you'd be happy with GP4000 - I got 4000+ miles on the rear riding through the winter. I've got no problem racing them either if I want my more durable wheelset. For normal racing I like supple tires on aero wheels.

p.s. I have no experience with Michelin, other than carbons as training tires a few years ago.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I've heard nothing but good things about the GP4s. I've also heard great things about the PR2s but that great to know about the mounting, puts my mind at ease a bit.

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
I've got GP4s

My GP400's go onto my new K's by hand, very easily. They are a remarkably compliant tire. Can't say about wear as I do not have many miles yet (few hundred). Great in the corners in dry weather as well. No experience racing them in the rain yet.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Ok Ramjm

A man of your status, owning IF's, Moots, and a pretty cool DEAN I might add:
Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX, 290tpi, finest clincher money can buy, period. Bradda. ;)

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
A man of your status, owning IF's, Moots, and a pretty cool DEAN I might add:
Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX, 290tpi, finest clincher money can buy, period. Bradda. ;)
The Vittorias are nice- and while I am splitting hairs here, I would give the edge to Veloflex Paves.

·
Registered
54 Posts
tyres

The current tyres at moment are the Conti gp 4000 which have been great. Roll well , no puntures yet after 1500 kms, easy to get onto wheels which are Fulcrum race 1. Have had Michelins Pro Race 2 also which are good, but very slippery in wet. one punture after 3000kms--- also started to crack slightly on appearance. Another tyre have had was the Victoria open corsa evo, which rolled well but was always pulling tiny pieces of glass out of tyres after each ride it seemed. My favourite is the Conty gp 4000, which has shown no wear at all to this date.:)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Contis have high rolling resistance across the board. I don't know why, but that is how they test out... even the fancy race tires. Michelins and Vittorias are the fastest among the common brands.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Continental rolling resistance

rruff said:
Contis have high rolling resistance across the board. I don't know why, but that is how they test out... even the fancy race tires. Michelins and Vittorias are the fastest among the common brands.
Yes, I've seen several side by side tests that have found Continental tires to have higher coefficients of rolling resistance than others in the same class. It looks like Continental has realized this, and appears to be attempting to address issue (at least from a marketing angle) with their latest racing tire, the Gran Prix 4000. The Continental product web page for the Gran Prix 4000 lists rolling resistance coefficients for the Gran Prix 4000 compared to the Gran Prix 3000, and shows the Gran Prix 4000 is 20% lower:

Of course, coefficient of rolling resistance depends greatly on inflation pressure and road surface, so we can't necessarily compare Continental's numbers with the numbers from other tests. However, Continental's stated coefficient for the Gran Prix 3000 is very similar to the number found in this test of rolling resistance, so perhaps Continental's numbers might be able to be compared to the tires in this test

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Even a 20% improvement leaves them 8-10W shy of the Corsa And Pro2... and I'd be sceptical that it was improved at all, since it is much easier just to say it. I guess we'll see when Tour does another test...

·
Registered
985 Posts
rruff said:
These tests have not included GP4000.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like...

both are excellent choices if what Conti promissesis true. The PR2s seems to be much better documented in terms of performance and such. Anyone out there have anything negative to say (wears quick,yada yada yada)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pr2

Got PR2s mounted on K SL2. Very easy to mount. When using the indoor trainer, mount the Conti Hometrainer (yellow). Major PITA to mount. 1,500 miles on the PR2's. Some surface cracks, nothing to cause concern. Nice grip and cornering. Even on wet roads. No experience at all w/ GP4000, although my team mates are using them. I'd buy the PR2s again.

Good luck

Ramjm_2000 said:
both are excellent choices if what Conti promissesis true. The PR2s seems to be much better documented in terms of performance and such. Anyone out there have anything negative to say (wears quick,yada yada yada)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts