Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like these tires come in a folding and not-folding version. The folding seems to go for about $32 and the non-folding for $25 on sale.

Is there any quality difference between the folding vs. non-folding versions? Why is the price so different?

I read the reviews of this tire vs. the GP 4-Seasons.

Are the Gatorskins really more durable, flat-resistant, and longer-lasting than the 4-Seasons? It appears so according to the reviews.

I am looking for something to use on my training wheels that will not flat as often as my Vredesteins but that will still offer grip and so forth if I have to use these wheels if I get a flat in a crit or RR or something.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
They're pretty durable and long lasting. Maybe not the best wet weather traction. I've used the wire bead ones on my training wheels for the last few years. The wire bead tires are easier to change when you flat. I have flatted the Gatorskins-- they're not impervious, just resistant. The last time I wanted one the LBS didn't have any 23mm ones, so I got a Conti 2000 instead. It rides better and I haven't flatted it yet, so I may switch.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a set of them I use mainly on the fixed gear. Nice tires. I ended up getting the 25 mm version and I'm glad I did, considering the use. The profile is barely bigger than most 23s. They are relatively comfortable, stick pretty well and are quite durable. I believe I have to folding version, which should be a bit lighter than the wire bead and fit a bit tighter.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
Great training or heavy use tire

I train with these and love them. Only had 2 flats in 3200 miles, one on a gravel road during Rouge-Roubaix, and the other had a roofing tack go into it, which would have cut any tire. THe front tire has 3200 miles on it and looks brand new and I had to replace the rear due to wear. I ride at 110lbs of pressure which is consistent with the other good reviews. I weigh 220lbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.