Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with the Conti 4000 tires that use the chili compound to compare to the 4000s which is also chili? PBK has the 4000 with chili for $33 and the 4000s for $36. It seems like they are the same tire except for the printing on them. If so, I might as well save the $3.

· Registered
182 Posts
The s ones are better. Adding letters to names always makes them better. I ordered some of the s version from pbk a few days ago, and honestly have no way to justify spending the extra $6, except to say I was hoping newer = better. Lame.

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
The black chili rubber compound is some newer better faster whatever rubber that probably won't make any noticeable difference to anyone but their testing machines. Is black chili faster and grippier and more durable? Yes, it probably is. Could any human tell the difference between the compounds in a blind test? Nope.

· Registered
214 Posts
Lots of riders on the new 4000S tires and no more reports of problems than there were before. The rubber does have greater adherence and maintains traction farther into an angle which helps both on wet roads and on turns. This and the lower rolling resistance are probably the most noticeable characteristic of the new tires. If you ride in a straight line the traction won't show up but if you ride faster, take turns faster, and ride on slick roads and don't want to be completely paranoid about turns or slick spots, these are good tires for that. My own experience has been that they are very cut resistant and have so far been absolutely flat-free. We have half a dozen team riders on them as training wheels without a single flat or ruined tire so far -- a total of perhaps 13,000 miles.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
I put a set of the 4000s on my Madone about 1000 miles ago. So far no problems. Had Bonte RXL's before and like the Conti's better - so far. Time will tell, as I got around 2000 miles on the RXL's - hopefully these will also hold up, because I *THINK* they ride a little softer. If I have problems - I'll get some Pro3's next.

· Registered
181 Posts
I have been running the GP 4000 and 4000s' . I am 6'5" 215 lbs. and I only have one flat in over 3k miles. I run them at 120 psi and the flat was from a piece of glass that made it through the vectran breaker. I can't tell a difference in performance between the two. I have had no sidewall issues. In between sets of the Conti's I ran a set of Schwalbe Ultremos. They have the vectran breaker also. Much more comfortable tire, but seemed to wear quicker and it got sliced up more.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Conti 4000 durability

NCRoadBeginner said:
Recently blew a sidewall also at roughly 100 miles on a 4000s... sounds like maybe they might have a quality problem...
Uh, no. A bunch of people I ride with use them with no problems. I typically get 3,000-3,500 miles on a rear (I weigh 175 lb) and have had no problems either.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
I have 3000 miles on my 4000S and they are still going strong.
I had no flats either. The rear one will need to be replaced within next 1000 miles or so but the front one looks great.
I also have the Pro 3 Race and I can't really tell much difference between the two....

· Registered
80 Posts
I've run through quite a few of these this season:

2 4000S's destroyed by sidewall cuts from hitting small rocks on separate occasions. These were "race only" tires that had less than 100 miles and still looked brand new.
The last of these died today 15 miles into a 60 mile road race.

1 4000 'black chili' destroyed by sidewall cut from hitting a small rock, still looks brand new.

1 4000 'black chili' destroyed by hitting a nail, which would have destroyed any tire.

Out of curiosity, I went through my "I really should recycle these tires" pile from the past 2 years and found:

4 'regular' 4000's that were worn past the wear marks with no signs of sidewall damage.

6 4-season's that were worn flat. some of these have non-fatal sidewall damage where the duraskin strings ripped, but I did not flat.

Now I'm not sure if it is my riding, the crap on the roads or the tires that have changed, but I have 1 GP4000S left. I am not going to be riding on it any more.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies

Especially the detailed reply from bobsmargs. My brother in law was making fun of me last week about sweating the $3 and I explained that if the tire gets a bad cut, the lower price lessens the blow. I reminded him about that when he was struggling to make a boot for his new Hutchinson tire, that had a bad cut on it, with only 50 miles on it. I mostly ride on a bike path, so I hope to be less of a victim to cuts. What really concerns me about the better chili compound is the nanoparticles, but I will start a new thread for that.

· Registered
339 Posts
4000 and 4000s, no probs for me

I have been riding on GP 3000, then 4000, then 4000 w/black chili, and now 4000s (also w/chili, yes, a few bucks more but I like the appearance of the tire's lettering better on my bike), for many many years. Other than an occassional flat (only one on my last 3 (I think 3, maybe only 2 sets, can't remember) sets of 4000s, a small wire got through the belt), I haven't had any problems. Did use a Michelin tire, can't remember which, for a few years, many years ago, but Conti's for many years now. In fact, in 40,000+ miles of riding (all but one year (Rhode Island) in the Kansas City metro, almost all riding on the Kansas side), I have never had a sidewall blow out, or cut, on any tire. I am fortunate to be able to ride on pretty good, pretty clean, roads. I am 6'3" and have weighed between 190 and 215 over that time (almost 20 years).

I find it curious to read about some posters that have suffered cuts on Conti tires, and some of which comment they will go to Michilen Pro3 Race tires -- I seem to have read on a post in this forum, recently, that many users of those tires have been suffering cuts on sidewalls. Probably just a consequence of the roads and road debris various riders have to endure.

Back to the Conti's, can I tell a diff between the 4000, 4000 w/chili, and 4000s w/chili, probably not, I just usually ride the latest / greatest Conti (also rode Attack/Force for a while too) that is offered, and they have all been great tires for me. I usually get only 2000+/- miles out of a set, I just figure that is the way it goes, being a bigger rider. Compared to gas costs for my car, not much to pay, really, in perspective to life and cars and my bikes.

Doug

· Registered
235 Posts
There is not much difference b/c all Contis suck. The old ones had stronger (but less compliant) sidewalls. Of course the rolling resitance was horrible b/c of that and the low TPI fabric used in the casing. Of course Conti claimed fanstastically high TPI's (~450!) by multiplying the low TPI of the casing x the number of plies. Also, you didn't want to use them in the rain and actually have to take a turn.
The newer ones, as is posted above, have weak sidewalls (similar to the original Michelin Pro Races, IMHO). Grip is probably improved with the new compound.
Do yourself a favor and get Pro3 Races, Vittoria Evo's or Veloflex Pave.

· Registered
339 Posts
I was condsidering Pro 3 Race tires, however.........

otoman said:
There is not much difference b/c all Contis suck. The old ones had stronger (but less compliant) sidewalls. Of course the rolling resitance was horrible b/c of that and the low TPI fabric used in the casing. Of course Conti claimed fanstastically high TPI's (~450!) by multiplying the low TPI of the casing x the number of plies. Also, you didn't want to use them in the rain and actually have to take a turn.
The newer ones, as is posted above, have weak sidewalls (similar to the original Michelin Pro Races, IMHO). Grip is probably improved with the new compound.
Do yourself a favor and get Pro3 Races, Vittoria Evo's or Veloflex Pave.
I read a post here (can probably find the thread if you search for Pro3), that cited many riders with problems with their Pro3 Race tires -- many of the posters were suffering cuts. The opinion ouf of that thread was that the Pro3 Race tires are just that, "race" tires, and don't expect them to hold up in general road use. They are sticky, corner great, but won't last (at least that was my interpretation of the many posts that comprised that thread).

So, it would seem, that the best tire to use depends greatly on what you want to use it for, the roads on which you ride, and the size rider you are. Personally, I am a 200+ pound recreational rider, like to ride hard, but also like to ride a good tire that doesn't flat often and holds up well. Conti's have always been that for me, I would hardly say they "suck", nor do many of my riding pals who ride on them as well. They have been great tires for anyone that I personally know to have tried them.

Doug

· Premium Member
3,495 Posts
One more datapoint ... I had a sidewall cut and blow-out on a front-wheel using GP4000/chilli with at most 200 miles on them. Unfortunately this was at 30mph on a descent into a corner and the outcome was fairly predictable. The road was pretty clean and I wasn't able to identify any debris that caused this, but the cut was definitely the cause of my crash.

I realize that tires/tubes are prone to occasional failure and that one cut is statistically insignificant. However, I'm not riding these tires again. I was able to take them back to the store, and get a full refund on both of them (great service!). That doesn't make up for the road rash, evening in the trauma centre and the rest of the damage to the bikes. The best thing to come out of it was the help that I got from passing cyclists to get me patched up and rolling again.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DBtheCyclist,

I enjoyed your posts because I am the same size. The Attack/Force tires that came with my bike have given me great service. The tires have a nice ride because of the "soft" sidewall. I rode a soft back tire for a few miles recently to get to a better place to change the tube. Coming around a few slight curves in the road, I thought I was going to hit the rim. I have decided that these better performing tires are scary when they go flat and I need to be careful.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.