Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
i like the Gatorskins, especially a 25 out back. people like the Spez Armadillos too,
but i haven't ridden them due to their weight. The Gatorskins aren't light like a true
race tire, but if you get the folders(avoid the wire bead) you should be good to go.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just bought 2 of the folding Gatorskins(25mm) at a Performance Bike store on Saturday.
But, they were the last 2. Order from the on-line store.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:
but if you get the folders(avoid the wire bead) you should be good to go.
Not trying to start an argument, but why? I've ridden GP 4000's in both 23 and 25, as well as Gatorskin wire beads in 23 and 25. Both are good tires and the Gatorskin wire beads don't diminish the riding experience all that much in comparison to the GP's which are in fact, really nice riding.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have put a ton of miles on my 25mm Four Seasons. Easier to find in 25mm than folding gatorskins. FYI, for conti tires, there isn't a huge difference between 23 and 25mm. I rode a set of 23mm ultras to the casing in 2007 with no flats and I am 215#.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
lookrider said:
Not trying to start an argument, but why? I've ridden GP 4000's in both 23 and 25, as well as Gatorskin wire beads in 23 and 25. Both are good tires and the Gatorskin wire beads don't diminish the riding experience all that much in comparison to the GP's which are in fact, really nice riding.
the first part of my quoted sentence referred to weight. there is no other downside
other than the availability issue. for training, touring/centuries the 25's volume
gives more comfort than the 23, owing to the lower pressure you can get away with.
if you don't find any appreciable difference between the 23 and the 25, then that's
cool too, the 23s are definitely easier to obtain.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Conti GP3000 and now GP4000 tires have been pretty much bulletproof for me. My current favorite is the Conti 4000s. Lots of miles and no problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lockwood1 said:
You should also consider Kenda Kaliente:thumbsup:
That's funny. Here are the tire's I have 200 miles on and have had 3 flats in 5 rides at different locations.

Kriterium

* Same L3R PRO compound and casing construction as the Kaliente
* Water sipping grooves for wet conditions

These are the reason I am looking for new tires. Thanks for the input but Kenda road tires are not for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yep

sunnyside said:
Do they make a Gator Skin ultra [Kevlar] in a 25mm I thought they only came in 23's?
I've got an Ultra 25 on my bike now - wire bead, not folding, but definitely kevlar in the construction.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
+1 for the GP 4 season. They're really good in the rain.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Old thread, but I'll try here before starting a new one...

I'm trying to find out if you can get the 700x28 Gator Skin in a folding tire? It looks to me like the 23 & 25 is a folding tire, but when you jump to 28 it goes to a wire bead.

I'm on 23s right now on my rain/winter/around town bike. Want to move to 25s, thinking about 28s, but wonder if that would be overkill.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
sunnyside said:
Do they make a Gator Skin ultra [Kevlar] in a 25mm I thought they only came in 23's?
Yup...that's what I'm riding now. Great tires. The 4000s are a bit more grippy, but they wear quick and do puncture easier than the Gators IMO.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
after several years of riding only Gators, I switched to the 4000S Black Chili last season.

the 4000 rides better, seems to last about the same number of miles, and I don't have any more flats than with the Gators.

I did, however, have two sidewall tears in the first 25 miles on one 4000. may be just a fluke, haven't experienced that with any of the others I've had.

bought another pair of 4000s this morning, the PBK sale was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Uh...so does anyone know if you can get a 700x28 Gator Skin in a folding/non-wire model?

Or does the switch from folding to wire happen when you jump from 25 to 28?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
In theory, Conti makes a folding 28 mm Gatorskin, but good luck finding one. You would have better luck finding a 28 mm GP 4 Season, which costs about the same and is a better, lighter tire with similar flat protection.

Edit - I just checked the Conti bikes website, and they do not make a 28 mm foldable Gatorskin, unless their site is out of date. Go for the GP 4 Seasons, you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts