Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/08/news/riis-signs-contador_132572

Smart move for both parties.

Riis announced Tuesday that the three-time Tour de France champion will join him in a two-year contract.

“Alberto (Contador) is a world class rider and it’s with great pride that I can welcome him onboard the team for the next two years,” Riis said in a statement. “With three Tour de France victories on his resume and a position as number one on the world rankings, he is sure to stay at the very top for several years to come.”

Riis also announced that current sponsor, Saxo Bank, has decided to continue and the new squad will be called Saxo Bank-Sungard. Both contracts are through the 2011 season.

·
Administrator
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From cyclingnews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-to-ride-with-riis-in-2011

Riis has secured Contador as team leader but now must rebuild his team for 2011. Andy and Frank Schleck have already confirmed they are moving on and look set to create their own team in Luxembourg with Riis’ former directeur sportif Kim Andersen and former press officer Brian Nygaard managing the team. A number of staff and experienced riders are also expected to jump ship and work with the Schlecks, including Jens Voigt, Stuart O’Grady. New signings could include Germany’s Linus Gerdemann, Fabian Wegmann Domenik Klemme.

Fabian Cancellara is expected to stay with Riis’ team in 2011 because he has a year remaining on his contract. Emerging talent Richie Porte is also expected to stay with the team as a second team leader for stage races.

However Riis refused to confirm any other names for the 2011 line-up or say if any of Contador’s current teammates from Astana will move to Saxo Bank-SunGard with him in 201

·
TPS reports by 5, people.
485 Posts
will be interesting to see how strong Saxo will be after the big guns leave for the Shlecks team - that said, we could be looking at many years of continuous Conty grand tour wins - we'll all be saying "Lance who?"

·
Registered
755 Posts
Cancellara speaks about 4 languages I think, is Spanish one of them? Will he stay? Seems like he would since he could be the classics guy and AC the stage guy. A good combo I would think but personalities might affect that.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
saxo seems gutted. conti has shown he can wil a grand tour without team support, but that team the schlecks are creating looks pretty strong.

(btw, wouldnt it be awesome if the had a telecommunications/media sponsor and painted their bikes to read "Radio Schleck."

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Smart move for Alberto. I bet he will become even more dominant under Bjarne's tutelage.

The Schleck boys... all I can say is "learn the lesson of Team Sky..."

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Smart move for Alberto. I bet he will become even more dominant under Bjarne's tutelage.

The Schleck boys... all I can say is "learn the lesson of Team Sky..."
...and Team Radio Shack.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Riis should try to steal some of the Radio Shack guys who are now on a mostly irrelevant team now that Lance is gone. Brajkovič, Paulinho, and Popovych would be nice to have.

·
TPS reports by 5, people.
485 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Riis should try to steal some of the Radio Shack guys who are now on a mostly irrelevant team now that Lance is gone. Brajkovič, Paulinho, and Popovych would be nice to have.
And Gregory Rast - that guy's a beast

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
It ain't over til it's over! Silly Season rolls on...

mohair_chair said:
A few from Astana would be good too.

I think to say the team has been "gutted" is a bit strong - they are losing the Bros. Schleck - and that is a big loss, but have replaced them with Alberto Conador, which is one step up on the podium. They retain Sparticus for another year atleast but seem set to lose Jens Voigt to Team Schleck - that would be a loss, but overall I think team Saxo Bank - Sungard is looking pretty good. Before claiming the team is gutted, I suggest we wait and see what other surprizes will come out of Silly Season.

I think it's hilarious that we have all, myself included, been throwing around names of new sponsors and Riis' old sponsors just re-upped! :D While I'm glad the future is secured for a bit, this just means we all end up back in the speculation box next year! :smilewinkgrin:

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
LostViking said:

I think it's hilarious that we have all, myself included, been throwing around names of new sponsors and Riis' old sponsors just re-upped! :D While I'm glad the future is secured for a bit, this just means we all end up back in the speculation box next year! :smilewinkgrin:
I'm thinking this had something to do with Contador signing on. I'm thinking Riis had to have the deal in hand with Contador and Specialized (Alberto and Andy playing nice?) before Saxo Bank and Sungard signed on for sure.

·
Administrator
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
empty_set said:
...and Team Radio Shack.
Stage win and podium spot for a first year team, not too bad. Certainly better than Sky. Or Footon.

Plus loads of young talent too from the Trek-Livestrong U23 team.

I think the implication is that the Spanish riders on Astana are jumping to Saxo as well.

·
Administrator
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem for a GC contender moving to Astana is the Vino issue.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
Coolhand said:
Stage win and podium spot for a first year team, not too bad. Certainly better than Sky. Or Footon.

Plus loads of young talent too from the Trek-Livestrong U23 team.

I think the implication is that the Spanish riders on Astana are jumping to Saxo as well.
True. I was mostly referring to what was expected of TRS, especially considering the firepower brought out. Sky was definitely over-hyped but Footon had only one previous TdF rider, no?

As for Astana being raided, I think Contador will only bring a maybe 1 or 2 riders with him; Novarro and ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
We'll... I can't wait to see this showdown next year between the Schleck's and Contador now with Riis... I'm glad to see Jens is going with the Schleck's!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts