Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering converting a standard to compact. Most compact cranks seem to cost over $100+++. I don't have a huge budget, and there is a house-brand compact for $80 at BikeNashbar.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11459&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Question 1: has anyone used the NASHBAR Compact crank? What are your opinions?
Question 2: upon seeing the specs, for those that have compact cranks, would you see any reason to NOT use this crank? (or any cheaper priced cranks)

Thnks!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Use the search feature

fliponacid said:
I am considering converting a standard to compact. Most compact cranks seem to cost over $100+++. I don't have a huge budget, and there is a house-brand compact for $80 at BikeNashbar.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11459&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Question 1: has anyone used the NASHBAR Compact crank? What are your opinions?
Question 2: upon seeing the specs, for those that have compact cranks, would you see any reason to NOT use this crank? (or any cheaper priced cranks)

Thnks!
Type in Nashbar compact crank. You will obtain more comments and info on the crank than you get in a review. By the way, one poster stated it is a rebadged FSA crank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got one, so does my buddy.

For the money, a great crank.

I rode it for most of last year. Shifted fine ,etc.

My buddy gives it a thumbs up too.

Some peeps are down on the ISIS BB due to longevity, Mine is smooth.

I checked out the other reviews via the search too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had one - it's definitely not an FSA crank. It's badged RPM, which is an OEM crank manufacturer. I think someone said it weighed the same as an FSA Energy compact, but the Energy is a hollow-forged crank, while the Nashbar isn't.

·
Registered
87 Posts
FSA and RPM

FSA makes RPM cranks...

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Budget Solution

fliponacid said:
I am considering converting a standard to compact...
...I don't have a huge budget...
If you are on a budget then you might wish to consider simply buying a cassette with cogs that fit your riding styles and needs. Often times most gearing issues can be resolved with the proper cassette choice rather than a compact crank.

List the gearing you have now and what you do not like about it and I am sure you can get some feedback. Also include your riding style, goals and terrain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts