Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so here is the deal. I have a vintage Viner that was a 10 speed which I recently turned into a single speed. Well I rode my buddies fixie and have my heart set. I want to order a rear wheel that has a fixed hub but it cant be a track spacing it has to be a hub spaced for well a geared bike. any one have any ideas???

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
dwadamcat said:
OK so here is the deal. I have a vintage Viner that was a 10 speed which I recently turned into a single speed. Well I rode my buddies fixie and have my heart set. I want to order a rear wheel that has a fixed hub but it cant be a track spacing it has to be a hub spaced for well a geared bike. any one have any ideas???
You just have to be careful about hub/wheel selection. Our shop stocks an inexpensive rear wheel for people doing a conversion on the cheap. It's an inexpensive non-sealed hub with an axle too short to space out beyong 120mm.

On the other hand, the better wheelsets we stock, whether with the Velocity Deep V or the Weinmann knockoff of same have the very nice sealed bearing, high flange Formula hub with more than enough axle length to put in spacers.

My Fuso conversion was spaced at 128mm (not uncommon in the early '90's as 130mm 8 speed was replacing 126mm 7 speed.) I simply put two 4mm Wheels Manufacturing alloy spacers between the "adjusting" nut and the locknut. There are sufficient threads to accommodate 130mm if need be. If you don't want to spring for spacers, washers will do.:D

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Stuff to read

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html#hub

You can use the wheel you've got (I'm assuming it's a thread-on freewheel hub). Some folks don't recommend the so-called "suicide hub" (which, unlike a track hub, does not take a reverse-threaded lockring), but as long as you have and use brakes and don't rely on pedal backpressure for braking, it can work. If' you're planning to be a brakeless skidder, never mind.

If you decide you need a real FG hub, there are plenty of track hubs that come with a long enough axle to be spaced out to road-frame dimensions.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
dwadamcat said:
I am looking at buying this sheel off of ebay but I have a question. What do I do about the chainline? will I be able to move the rear cog left/right or is its place set for good?

Chainline will depend on what cranks you are using.. The rear wheel you are looking at has a 42mm chainline.. If you have standard double road cranks and use the inside ring position, it will give you close to the right chainline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.