Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually do a few team triathlons during the year (3 person team, each does an event) and end up putting aero extensions on my road bike. The length of the events are anywhere from 15 to 56 miles. The major drawback is that either I set the bike up for TT and leave it, thus rendering it pretty useless for regular riding (seat angle is lowered, seat is moved forard and seatpost is raised) or I adjust it back every time.

I have a Redline cross bike with fairly new 9 speed ultegra and a set of aero extensions with shifters at the end. The cross bike is not used during the tri season. I've been thinking about setting the Redline up as a TT bike. Any drawbacks? Anyone try this?

The only drawback I can think of is I believe the head angle is slacker and this may effect steering in an aero position. I'm not too worried about frame aerodynamics.

·
awwww horseapples!!
415 Posts
someone can correct me if I am wrong here, but does a cx bike have very relax frame angles (vs. a regular roadbike)? If that is so you will have to go pretty far to get the desired fit and setup. Hell, you could do it, it just might not handle very well.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
3 cents worth

May I add that cross bikes almost always have a higher bottom bracket than road bikes do?! Time trial bikes are harsh riding rails designed for straight down the road racing. Cross bikes behave very differently on the road. The higher bottom bracket will not keep you on the sweet and narrow down a fast down hill ride. I would suggest you use a dedicated time trial frame for your TTing. Check out craigslist or e-bay for a used Quatro Assi or QuintanRoo TT frame.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ignorning the past 15 years of tri-guy marketing drivel, I thought the whole reason that tri bikes had steeper angles than a road bike because the more forward position "saved your muscles for the run." Right? So in this case, if he's just doing the bike portion as a 3-man team, who cares about the run? Not him!

Step with me in the wayback machine to a mid-80's triathalon. What's that, a Bridgestone RB-10 (with cantis!) in T2? I think that as long as he can achieve his road position - or perhaps approximate his TT position, which he said is different - then the one and only Redline in that race will kick more than it's share of Cervelo P3C-Zipp-HED bums.

It's just a bike. Yeah, Bjorn wouldn't ride a Redline with TT bars, but Bjorn doesn't do 3-man triathlons. Put some TT bars on, ride it for awhile, and then decide.

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
I'm with the last guy.

Put some aero-bars on it and race it. I've been riding a Redline Conquest as an everyday crit/road racer until I get the bread for a new Felt, and it handles the road as well as it does the dirt.

You gotta remember that you're not racing the Ironman at Kona. You can get away with doing TTs on a CX bike. I would, if it means anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts