Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 130 mm spaced ENO offset hub from Harris a couple of weeks ago. They were out, but said they had a 126, and I could simply use that in my 130 steel frame. I said, no, I'd prefer to have the 130 and do it right. I check today, and they did not have the 130, but said that they "converted" a 126 to a 130, and shipped it to me. I'm skeptical, because when I look at the photo of the ENO hub, I don't see where a spacer could be added, and I want the exact right hub, not some kludge. Anyone have any thoughts on this, especially from looking at the photo? Thanks.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Hmm...

Sheldon is a pretty innovative/imaginative guy, but I'm with you on this one. Having said that, they will stand by whatever they send you, so I wouldn't be too alarmed. However, the wrench in me is wondering how they repspaced that hub. Maybe they ordered new cones from White? May be worth a call back to talk to the guy in the shop who actually did the work.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
seems kinda fishy

Mike Prince said:
Sheldon is a pretty innovative/imaginative guy, but I'm with you on this one. Having said that, they will stand by whatever they send you, so I wouldn't be too alarmed. However, the wrench in me is wondering how they repspaced that hub. Maybe they ordered new cones from White? May be worth a call back to talk to the guy in the shop who actually did the work.

Mike
I guess never having actually seen one of these new hubs in person it's hard to judge. But man if I were you I'd wait until you can get the real deal. I just don't see how they could have done it. While were on the topic of the new ENO has anyone actually used it yet? Does it work as well as I'm hoping it will?

Good Luck

Oh and you might try and order direct from whiteind.com. Maybe they'll have what you want in stock.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
DougSloan said:
I ordered a 130 mm spaced ENO offset hub from Harris a couple of weeks ago. They were out, but said they had a 126, and I could simply use that in my 130 steel frame. I said, no, I'd prefer to have the 130 and do it right. I check today, and they did not have the 130, but said that they "converted" a 126 to a 130, and shipped it to me. I'm skeptical, because when I look at the photo of the ENO hub, I don't see where a spacer could be added, and I want the exact right hub, not some kludge. Anyone have any thoughts on this, especially from looking at the photo? Thanks.

Maybe White will trade for what you want. Should be no problem for them, you offer to cover shipping, new for new, and they can switch it back to 126. Worst they can say is "no".

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
They probably only make...

one shell for all the non-disk ENO hubs. (Maybe disk also - never seen one.) The different widths are just different axles and end pieces. Maybe Sheldon could get end pieces and not hubs from White and converted yours

TF

·
Registered
259 Posts
yup!

bikesforpeace said:
While were on the topic of the new ENO has anyone actually used it yet? Does it work as well as I'm hoping it will?
i've been extremely happy with mine, the eccentric unit hasn't budged, and i've definitely muscled the bike up some seriously too-steep climbs! i mean it; if it snowed here in san diego, everyone would be screwed.
well made hub, and the idea is so simple, it fits beautifully with the fixie appeal.

the los

·
Are you a nurse, Fokker?
81 Posts
i'm betting that's it. same hub inners stuff, just differing end pieces for the different axle widths.

fwiw, mine is working amazingly well. no slipping, after the first ride-figuring out just how tight it needed to be to not slip. dialed in now, and it's great! been about two months with it now; i've been out on my geared roadie once in that time!

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
DougSloan said:

Doug,

Did you ever found out how they re-spaced the hub? I saw in a separate thread that you had received it and laced up the wheel. Enquiring minds want to know...

Mike

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks standard

Mike Prince said:
Doug,

Did you ever found out how they re-spaced the hub? I saw in a separate thread that you had received it and laced up the wheel. Enquiring minds want to know...

Mike
Looks like it came straight from the factory, so I only assume the ends are different. Seems perfectly fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts