Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding a 2000 steel framed Fuji that has original Tiagra 9 sp components. I was itching for a new ride but I finally got it to a point that it fits well and I enjoy the old school look. Test riding some new bikes also cured me of the "purchasing speed" syndrom. I do however want to upgrade a few things this winter.

While on a ride this summer I dropped the chain in the front and it got wedged between the bottom bracket and small chain ring. The end result was a bent small ring which I have been riding on ever since (I almost never use the small ring). I'm going to take this as a perfect opportunity to upgrade.

I see some of the R-700 compact cranks online for a reasonable price. My bike has an internal, square spindle BB which I will replace as a maintenance issue while I have it apart. Are cranks specifically made for internal or external BB or will any crank work on an internal BB?

How about the FD and RD? New chain? I'm thinking a new cassette with more appropriate gearing? Will the front shifter work or do I need that also?

I want to get a list to I can look for some deals online and on craigslist over the winter to save a few $$$$.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You'd need to get the outboard bearing assemblies to use that crank -- you can't use your square-taper. But since you're planning to replace the BB anyway, that's nothing extra. From what I've heard, the external-bearing system is a worthwhile performance upgrade.

You shouldn't have to replace anything else, as long as your FD can be adjusted sufficiently to shift well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts