Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two disc brake bikes - A Norco Search w/15mm front and 12mm rear thru axles, and a BMC RoadMachine with 12mm Thru Axles front and rear.

I'm in the market for a set of wheels for the RoadMachine that would be dedicated for gravel/dirt roads and rail trails (we have a lot of those around here).

I have my heart set on another set of Chris King Alloy Ride wheels (28/28 HED Belgium Plus on Chris King hubs), but it would be nice to be able to move these wheels over to my Search to use as a spare set of wheels or just to have an alternative tire option.

I don't want to have to do major surgery on the wheels to facilitate the swap, but obviously swapping end caps (i.e. DT Swiss 240) would be ok.

I'm just curious what my options are for hubs that can be fairly easily converted between varying thru-axle standards? I do know about the DT-240's.. just curious about what else is out there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dt, Hope, I9's are easy swaps. Simple end cap change.. Kings are not so simple and prolly THE most expensive to swap over. When I put thru axles on my King MTB hubs it was over $130 for the Rear and about 70 ish for the front.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Enoch, I'll look into those brands.

I knew the kings were expensive - I have a set and pondered converting them - and it's not just cost - it's a bit of tedious work (i'm not a wheel builder type).

End caps I can manage!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts