Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a touring bike that has Shimano 8 speed LX components except that I have a 9 speed Deore crank (22-32-44). It has Ultegra bar end shifters. Can I convert it to 10 speed using 10 speed chain, cassette, and 10s bar end shifters? Would it shift as well? I'm looking to get closer jumps between gears using an 11x32 cassette. The bike is used for road, gravel/dirt, and loaded touring.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Shimano freehubs typically will take an 8spd thru 10spd cassettes with no issues, you will need to replace the 8spd chain with a 10spd.

Might need to replace the front derailleur too, don't quote me... hopefully somebody else will jump in to comment/confirm this...

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Shimano freehubs typically will take an 8spd thru 10spd cassettes with no issues, you will need to replace the 8spd chain with a 10spd.

Might need to replace the front derailleur too, don't quote me... hopefully somebody else will jump in to comment/confirm this...
No need to replace the front derailleur if it works now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have done this with the 8 speed crank in place and found that shifting to the small chainring requires more care than normal or the chain drops betwixt and between (not fully or properly 39 or 53).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not a surprise, since a 10 speed chain outside width is smaller than the 8 speed. A 14t gap is larger than the triple,so I'd give it a try using the current front derailleur.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done this with the 8 speed crank in place and found that shifting to the small chainring requires more care than normal or the chain drops betwixt and between (not fully or properly 39 or 53).
Yes, I have a concern that the chain might drop between chainrings, but since I have a 9 speed crank, instead of an 8...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts