Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to tour northern Italy in the late summer on a rigid mountain bike. It's nothing special - a 2004 Kona Fire Mountain - but with some appropriate tyres, mudguards, rack, a 44/48ish tooth big chainring and a new handlebar/bar ends it should be sufficient.

I'm fairly sure I know where I'm going with most of the mods, but does anyone here know whether it is possible to somehow retro-fit a front rack onto a Kona P2 fork? It only has holes for a mudguard, which I will be fitting.

I've seen plenty of photos online showing rigid MTBs with front racks. Are the owners likely to be using 'Touring forks' (if such things exist) or have they got round the problem of having no fittings on their MTB forks with an aftermarket solution? Are there cheap clips available to get round this problem?

I hope someone can help me sooner rather than later as I don't want to buy the rear rack/panniers until I know what I can do with the front...

Thanks.

· Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
fungolo33 said:
Hi,

I'm planning to tour northern Italy in the late summer on a rigid mountain bike. It's nothing special - a 2004 Kona Fire Mountain - but with some appropriate tyres, mudguards, rack, a 44/48ish tooth big chainring and a new handlebar/bar ends it should be sufficient.

I'm fairly sure I know where I'm going with most of the mods, but does anyone here know whether it is possible to somehow retro-fit a front rack onto a Kona P2 fork? It only has holes for a mudguard, which I will be fitting.

I've seen plenty of photos online showing rigid MTBs with front racks. Are the owners likely to be using 'Touring forks' (if such things exist) or have they got round the problem of having no fittings on their MTB forks with an aftermarket solution? Are there cheap clips available to get round this problem?

I hope someone can help me sooner rather than later as I don't want to buy the rear rack/panniers until I know what I can do with the front...

Thanks.
Old Man Mtn should have a rack you can use.
Front racks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.