1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Actually, the gears aren't a problem at all. Those cables run out to the side and work fine. The movement is designed to be used from the drops, which is the same basic position as when the levers are below bullhorns.

The biggest difficulty is usually with the brake cable routing, because it wants to come out the top edge of the brake lever. On bullhorns, that means it's pointing out forward somewhere. It's possible to loop it around and back under the tape, but it adds friction and usually doesn't end well. They can also be routed out in the wind similarly to the gear cables, but that's an ugly mess.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Why are you switching to bullhorns? Are adding clip on aero bars? Is it just for comfort? I would look at aero style brake levers that route thru the base bars, or, barcon shifter set for the ends of the cowhorns with a cyclocrss set of brake levers. A little money invloved, but, you would be able to shift and stop your bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!

Thanks for the help!
So your saying that Ishould buy a new set of break levers and that I shouldn't use my current ones?

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
bikergirl09 said:
Thanks for the help!
So your saying that Ishould buy a new set of break levers and that I shouldn't use my current ones?
Are you talking to me?
PM me if you'd like to discuss your options.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
danl1 said:
Actually, the gears aren't a problem at all. Those cables run out to the side and work fine. The movement is designed to be used from the drops, which is the same basic position as when the levers are below bullhorns.

The biggest difficulty is usually with the brake cable routing, because it wants to come out the top edge of the brake lever. On bullhorns, that means it's pointing out forward somewhere. It's possible to loop it around and back under the tape, but it adds friction and usually doesn't end well. They can also be routed out in the wind similarly to the gear cables, but that's an ugly mess.
FWIW, when I used to think I wanted bullhorns, I looped the cables around and back to the tape, and while it probably did add some friction, it wasn't enough that I could feel a difference. Modern housings are pretty slick.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
bikergirl09 said:
i am new to this and i am not familiar with the lingo. what is PM?
:mad2:
PM means private message. It's in the upper right hand corner of this page by where you login. Tell me why you are changing the set up and what you are hoping to acheive by the swap. I'll try to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts