Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giant TCX1 and I want to convert it to road type caliper brakes. Can I use Ultegras, or do I have to find some long reach calipers.

Before you ask why I would want to do this, I do not ride cross, I only bought this bike cause I weigh 260 and wanted something heavy duty. The cantilevers that came with the bike are crap, and I hate cantilevers, anyways.

Thanks for any info...

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody makes a caliper that would reach that far. take a look at your fork. Even if it does have a hole where you could conceivably mount a caliper brake (though it's really there for a fender) check out how far away it is from the rim. Waaaaaaaay far away. Sorry.

Get some kool-stop pads instead. If that doesn't work, try some of the fancy brakes like Pauls.

·
Registered
234 Posts
m_s said:
Get some kool-stop pads instead.
I have a cyclocross bike with cantis and 2 road bikes with calipers . I hated the canti's original Tektro brake pads, bike just would not stop. After changing pads to kool-stop I prefer the braking power and modulation of canti brakes over caliper brakes. Now I love my conti brakes.
:thumbsup:

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
I'm 220-ish and for road riding I dislike cantilevers a whole lot too. The RX5 mini v mentioned above with either Ritchey red or Kool Stop salmon pads are your best bet IMO. Way better as a road brake for a heavy guy than the Paul cantis I was using.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.