Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Surly Cross Check I got for cheap. I would like to convert it to a flat bar commuter. What are my options for brake levers/shifters?

Do I need anything else besides levers/shifters, the bar, and grips? I imagine cable lengths may need to be changed.

The bike is currently set up with 9 speed 105 derailleurs and levers/shifters. Will Shimano MTB levers/shifters work with the 105 parts?

Does anyone know if the Surly Open Bar or similar will work with STI?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a Surly Cross Check I got for cheap. I would like to convert it to a flat bar commuter. What are my options for brake levers/shifters?

Do I need anything else besides levers/shifters, the bar, and grips? I imagine cable lengths may need to be changed.

The bike is currently set up with 9 speed 105 derailleurs and levers/shifters. Will Shimano MTB levers/shifters work with the 105 parts?

Does anyone know if the Surly Open Bar or similar will work with STI?
As a fellow CrossCheck owner I will chime in with what I know. Shimano's MTB and road shifters up to 9 speeds had the same pull ratio, so any shimano 9 speed shifter will work. Brake levers need to be matched to the type of brakes you have. For example, if you have V-brakes, you'll need V-brake levers, cantilevers: canti compatible levers.

Doesn't look like the Open Bar will work with Shimano road STI shifters, but the MTB ones will work as long that you have the correct brake levers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you sure about that Jason? I use 4600 flat bar shifters (10 speed) on my commuter bike, and the brake levers, designed for Tiagra dual pivot, work fine with my V-brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.