Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I have an old Trek 9.8 (2001) that has seen a lot of miles and I have been thinking about putting it out to pasture, so to speak. I think there may be some miles still left her, however, and I thought of maybe turning her into a Cyclocross bike to use for winter commuting and riding on country roads. Basically, I thought I would lose the straight bar and replace it with a drop bar; use some old levers/shifters I have lying around; take the big 2.10 tires off and replace them with some 26x1.25 cross tires (ritchey and shwalbe both make some). Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is there anything else I need to consider? Am I nuts to do this?

Thanks in advace,

Chris

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds good. BTW, if you want to use 700c wheels, you can! If you have disk brakes, just relace some 700c rims on the existing hubs, and if you want to run v's there's a nifty adapter that looks a lot like an old "brake booster" - it shifts the studs up.

Check on cable-pull with the brake levers you use- someone else would have to speak to that.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Do a google search for "Frankenbike" and you will find lots of info including numerous threads in RBR and MTBR.

We also discussed drop bar MTBs recently in this thread. I would also be happy to answer any questions you may have, although some things are dependent on your frame.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=155181

My drop bar MTB is easily my most versatile bike, and probably gets the most use despite being the cheapest to put together.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
biggest issue is brakes. if you run cantis on your mtb, you will be fine. otherwise you will need a travel agent/problem solver. if you go this rout, make sure you get one with a barrel adjuster.

some people swap out stems, too. hit the CX forum, im sure they could help out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts