Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
jetpilotjack said:
Has anyone converted an old OCLV MTB to a Cross bike. Can you put 700c wheels on these MTB frames, I think they were designed to use 700c wheels also?
Jack what I really want to know is what kind of JetFuel are you Drinking..:aureola:

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
I'm sure a conversion can, and has been done, to make a frame like the 9800 work as a cross bike. The problem is, the bike wasn't designed around 700c wheels. What it would add up to is spending a bunch of cash to get a bike that mostly works for what you intended.

The canti studs won't be in the right location to work with 700c wheels, so you will have to use either an adapter plate or get Paul Components Moto BMX brakes (@ $125 per wheel). For the front, you could always just buy a cross fork, but again that's more cash.

Do you have a set of road wheels already? If not, there's more cash to spend.

Unless you are really attached to the frame, you may be better off selling the frame and applying that to a frame or even a complete bike. In the end, it would probably be money better spent.

Now, if you have a pile of spare parts around and just wanted to build the 9800 up with drop bars as a frankenbike with 26" wheels, then go for it. Nothing to spend, and there are at least a few folks here who are plenty happy riding a coverted mtb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes!!..................... tried this a few years ago.

See here for photos:

http://oldmanbreezer.fotopic.net/c127308.html

This was really an experiment with bits i had lying around. The brakes had steel plates fitted so they would reach the rims (no fancy Paul Components Moto BMX brakes for me!). This worked but meant that the blocks had to run very close to the rims. Not ideal and there was little clearance for mud.

As a project is was fun but in my humble opinion you'd be better off with a cx specific frame.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my opinion... slap on a rigid carbon 26 fork, and a set of kenda klimax 1.9 tires, leave the flat bars on it and convert to 1x9, (36 front, 11-34 rear) it will be under 19 pounds easy and will be just as fast as a cross bike with much more traction. I did that with a old ti merlin HT and loved that bike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.