Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Per UCI HEAD PAT MQUAID:

"...in the ProTour if any of these riders are eventually proved guilty, you could virtually say that their career is over. They will not just get the two years of the Wada code, they will also get two years extra out of the ProTour. So they are facing a four-year sentence out of the sport, that effectively will finish their careers.… "

Four years will definitely end their cycling careers!

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:
THIS JUST IN FROM UCI HEAD PAT MQUAID - RIDERS FOUND GUILTY TO BE BANNED FOR 4 YEARS, NOT TWO!!!:

"...in the ProTour if any of these riders are eventually proved guilty, you could virtually say that their career is over. They will not just get the two years of the Wada code, they will also get two years extra out of the ProTour. So they are facing a four-year sentence out of the sport, that effectively will finish their careers.… "

The Pro Tour has had the additional two year rule in effect for some time now. TH just missed that rule by the skin of his vanishing twin's teeth.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew about Tyler, Millar, etc who only got two. The four year ban will end at least a dozen rider's careers implicated in Operation Puerto, if not a lot more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:
I knew about Tyler, Millar, etc who only got two. The four year ban will end at least a dozen rider's careers implicated in Operation Puerto, if not a lot more.
Tyler might be adding 4 yrs to his suspension. His name is on the list. I wonder if this will sorted out before late August when he could theoretically ride again. Would the ban be stronger for him since he has already been suspended for doping once?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
EricNM said:
Tyler might be adding 4 yrs to his suspension. His name is on the list. I wonder if this will sorted out before late August when he could theoretically ride again. Would the ban be stronger for him since he has already been suspended for doping once?
What an interesting legal theory. A person is convicted and sanctioned not just for the violation, but gets convicted again each time a separate piece of evidence is found.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
EricNM said:

That's called double jeopardy and I don't think the rules allow it.

G

·
Jan's career is dead, if he really is guiltly, then there seems to be no point in legal proceedings - he should hang it up like Mancebo. Even Basso, who'd be 32 before he could compete again in the protour would be so far behind his rivals that he wouldn't be able to compete unless he used doping products :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
EricNM said:
Velonews reports that according to Pat McQuaid, Hamilton faces a lifetime ban for a second offense if new Operation Puerto charges are proven against him. McQuaid also says that since Tyler's 2004 sanction wasn't finalized until 2005, the additional two-year Pro Tour suspension applies to his current suspension. Not that it's likely to matter much. I can't imagine that any Pro Tour team would touch him with a ten-foot pole at this point.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/10201.0.html

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
asgelle said:
What an interesting legal theory. A person is convicted and sanctioned not just for the violation, but gets convicted again each time a separate piece of evidence is found.
Hamilton was sanctioned for homologous blood doping at the Vuelta. If the new evidence stands up he's also guilty of autologous blood doping, EPO, HGH, etc at multiple different points in time. To use the same analogy I used in the other forum. If I'm imprisoned for murder, and while doing my time they find out I raped someone, do I not get charged and punished for the rape as well? You guys seem to think the murder rap gives me a free pass for any other crime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.