Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What to do?

• Switch to Campagnolo SR 11 and Shamals

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Switch all of them to Campy, buy Boras, Hyperons etc.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Keep the Dura Ace

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Just go out and ride.

Votes: 12 25.5%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I can't make up my mind so I will post this here on the Shimano Forum and on the Colnago Forum and let the collective mind decide.

First of all as some of you know probably, I have too many bikes, all of them are setup in Shimano 7800

1 Colnago Extreme C, traditional, full 7800, 7850-C24-TU low profile tubulars
1 Colnago Extreme, Power traditional full 7800, 7850-C50-TU deep profile tubulars
1 Colnago Extreme Power sloping full 7800, 7850-C24-CL carbon clinchers ( that I would probably sell )

I also have a Colnago C-40, Campy Record 10, Campy Electron that I also love.

Now I just sold my Bianchi, with the cash I got for it I could re-invest some money into my Colnagos.

I got offers for ( prices are on CHF that is a little higher that the USD now )

- 1 Campy Super Record 2011 (steel version), groupset new, dismounted from a new bike at a local shop, theasking price is 1500.- and I got the option to buy it, absolute minimum this can be got is 2000.- from a local online retailer

- 1 set of Shamal Ultra gold Tubulars, used , including Chorus cassette and tubulars, the rear tubular needs to be changed, 730.- the cheapest I could get Shamals is 850.- clincher titanium colored version ( I guess is 2009 version )

or

- 1 set of Bora used ( Ultra 2 front Ultra rear ) for 1800.-

or

- 1 set of new Bora Ultra 2 from PBK, with all the discounts and coupons and taxes will end at 2200.-

So, I have the cash in hand for the SR11 and Shamals and I have to give an answer to the sellers after Eastern so that is tomorrow.

my concerns are.

1. If I switch the EP in STIT to this group it would be great, but then I will lose the possibility to interchange wheels and components with the other bikes.

That is a real concern as I also have many other parts on my stock including
- a full 7803 triple groupset for when I get older
- new spare parts 1 crankset, 2 BB. 1 FD. 1 right STI, several chainrings (53,52,39,38) and lightly used cassettes ( 11-23, 12-23, 12-25, 2x 12-27 )
- several 7800 32 and 36h hubs
- several training wheels ( DA/OP 32x3, DA/GP4 tubs 32x3, WH-7801 )

off course all that can be sold but then with a loss because the 7800 is not yet the latest groupset and then it comands less money in the market, but it is still superbly functional light and performant.

2. Bike snobery over here says a Colnago should be on Campy, but in fact all the glorious Colnago history was written on Dura Ace, ( Mapei, Rabobank, Milram, Landbouke credit etc ) they were all on Dura Ace

Reference
https://pro.cycling.it/pdf/bici_freire_pro_12_07.pdf
https://pro.cycling.it/pdf/bici_velo_pro_04_07.pdf

and off course my EP 54cm STIT is from he same year has same setup pic here.

3. If I switch to Campy the EP then I will slide into an slippery slope and will need to migrate the other bikes to Campy 11 too, that would cost an small fortune to take them to the same level as they are on Dura Ace now. I would need, 2 more Record or SuperRecord groups ( 4000 ) , Boras ( 2200 ), Hyperons ( 2500 ) and many spare parts etc. so all in all spend some 15,000 in parts and then resell my Dura Ace stuff on a loss.

4. Pedals ? I only have Shimano DA pedals, so I would have to switch them too ? to Looks ? to Speedplay ?

5. Esthetically wise I think the Golden Shamals will clash with the STIT Colnago don't you think ?

so, decisions, decisions

Ô RBR oracle tell me what to do

·
Hi
568 Posts

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly I have though about the carbon cranks.

But well the 7800 do its job quite well. I do agree that the "squalo" chainring looks better on sloping monocoque bikes than on my Colnagos.

probably only the big chainring needs to be changed to keep on a more traditional look ?

I do tend to like the gleaming metalic parts, more than the all black/dark parts on Campy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have to agree about the gold Shamals. I have a set, and they look good on my PR82 EPS and/or my C50 in the Sunburst scheme or one of the PRxx bikes. Other paint schemes would work with the wheels, but not your bikes (in my opinion).

·
Registered
24 Posts
All the glory was on Japanese components? Err. . . You might want to go a little further back in your history book to a time when a certain Belgian was whooping everyone like never before or since. And many of his glory days were on Colnagos with Campagnolo.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Salsa, what about the gold shamals on the white ext p? Why do plan on sellin that one? Slightly better fit on the trad frame?

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. All my Colnagos are Record 10 speed. I'll probably convert the C50 to 11 speed Super Record and convert the other to 11 speed as I deem affordable. This all comes down to your budget and whether it makes sense for you. Personally, you should have gone with Campy to begin with. Tough to convert over when you have a lot of bikes, but maybe think about doing it gradually as the finances allow.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ride-Fly said:
Salsa, what about the gold shamals on the white ext p? Why do plan on sellin that one? Slightly better fit on the trad frame?
Yes I have thought about that too.

Both the sloping and the traditional are close in feel, and I attribute that to the fact that the sloping 52s has smaller triangles but also the trad 54. I guess if I compared the 52s to a trad 56 other would be the results.

Anyhow I prefer the 54 in looks and feel and right now has become my main bike.

I will remove the Cinelli RAM from the EP 52s and put it on the Trad 54, replace it by a Ergonova Team and put it for sale with the Dura Ace and the WH-7801 wheels. Or maybe just sell the frame.

We'll see.

I passed on the gold wheels, It is a pitty they are not black because I really liked them and the price is really good.

Maybe I just leave it like that and someday I will buy a C-50 on Campy/Shamals or Eurus time will tell.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fabsroman said:
I don't know what to tell you. All my Colnagos are Record 10 speed. I'll probably convert the C50 to 11 speed Super Record and convert the other to 11 speed as I deem affordable. This all comes down to your budget and whether it makes sense for you. Personally, you should have gone with Campy to begin with. Tough to convert over when you have a lot of bikes, but maybe think about doing it gradually as the finances allow.
You could be right on this.

You see it is not about finances, I could spend that money, I just sold my Bianchi and then I can buy the SR plus a set of wheels.

It wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't so many bikes and money put into that, now I prefer to limit myself and forbid me to put "fresh" money into the addiction, I only allow me to recycle the bike money.

But also I think the bikes are just fine like they are and I think If I put the money on migrating one, I will want to migrate them all, and as I have decided not to buy more used parts, then I would have to resell all my DA stuff ( bought new ) for cheap and there you will have a real money waste that I don't want to do.

If I only had one bike or would be allowed to splurge on one bike only it would probably be a new C59 colnago on a custom vintage paintjob with SR and Bora/Hyperons. but I have already a good "legacy" package which in fact is not bad at all.

My bikes are from the 2007-2009 period and well, DA 7800 or Campy Record 10 would be the "period correct" equipment.

·
Col,Naaa,GOOOOO
363 Posts

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally decided to jump into the slippery slope.

I will get the SR11 as the price is really unbeatable, nowhere in the world a new SR11 2011 group can be got for that price.

I got a set of 2008 Campy Neutron Clinchers for $150 that I will use until I can get my hands on a good priced and preferably new set of Boras.

I will try to sell the EP 52s with its DuraAce/C50s to finance this madness and probably the Extreme C will follow with some Hyperons, or maybe I will leave it like it as an hommage to the fallen Michael Rasmussen :D

·
Col,Naaa,GOOOOO
363 Posts
Neutrons............thats cool i was wondering about those to replace my trusted OP/Record 98-99(the best year)/sapim setup

Just checked shiny bikes they are cheap on Bora's, but expensive on other stuff, as usual its a good use of firefox tabs for comparisons:D :D :D 6 different tabs 6 different bikeshops:rolleyes: :rolleyes: & E Bay

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a guy in Italy selling a set of Bora Ultras for a good price, I will meet him on the 6-7 May when I go for the Giro to Torino and Parma, probably that would be the good deal.

Otherwise they can be got new ( Ultra 2 version ) from PBK at a quite good price now with the 20% Campy discount + 10% coupon.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FrenchNago said:
Neutrons............thats cool i was wondering about those to replace my trusted OP/Record 98-99(the best year)/sapim setup

Just checked shiny bikes they are cheap on Bora's, but expensive on other stuff, as usual its a good use of firefox tabs for comparisons:D :D :D 6 different tabs 6 different bikeshops:rolleyes: :rolleyes: & E Bay
The Neutrons ar quite good, I got them really cheap from a sponsored "elite" guy whose team switched to SRAM, so most probably he got them for free so he sold them to me for $150.

They are the 2008 version and are a little heavier than the advertised 2011 version, I got them for the C-40 to replace the Electrons that are indeed almost 280 grams heavier.

i will use it temporarly until I get the Boras and then they will find their home on the C-40

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PM sent

1 - 20 of 46 Posts