Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
vegan cyclocross disco
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I'm hoping to start a weekly cross practice this summer/fall and I'm getting ready to discuss the plans with the woman who makes the final decision. I talked to her assistant and she sounded concerned about grass damage/liability. I've never done this before and was wondering if anyone had any advice or stories? thanks - Andy

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Here's my experience...

We have practices every tues night. These pratices aren't like promoted, just word of mouth. I don't know how many people you have coming to the practices. So far the max we've had is 10 and it's never really been an issue, although we never asked anyone. We are usually there after dark, and don't bother anyone, so no one has ever complained. We put up maybe two barriers and that's it. I guess it all depends on what you do and how nice the park is. Can you change the course up each week? That would help out with the grass etc. We use the same course each week and never can tell we were there in a few days.

Can you hold a race, and maybe donate some of the money to the park? That always helps some.

Good luck, I know some places can be a real pain in the arse over nothing.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Why not organize it as a USA cycling practice event or similar so you can have $1 million umbrella liability insurance for you and the park. You can minimize grass damage by setting courses in such a way so they don't have turns in places that couse the grass to get wrecked.

I guess if they have liability concerns, you need insurance and the cycling federation is a pretty easy way to do it, just charge money.

In the future, if it is something totally unstructured, you might just be better off just going to the park and riding around without making a big deal of it. Now that you asked, you need to followup w/ insurance, still not ahuge deal, you will have to charge people and get waivers, etc. etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.