Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice tempo ride today. Until.....

At almost the furthest point from home, my wife got a flat. Sudden psssssst flat. The kind that generally means whatever caused it was spit out by the air pressure. Ah, the danger of that assumption. I KNOW better than to make that assumption, really I do. But I did. So I check the inner casing, swap tubes, and on we go.

Ten minutes later another flat. Crap. We stop in the shade, which happens to be a place infested with mosquitoes that drained a good pint from each of us. This time I check the inner casing AND the tread where the leak was (while walking back and forth trying to minimize the bites), find a bit of embedded glass that did NOT go through the inner kevlar lining, clear it out, and pump things up.

7 miles from home.... yep. Screw the fix since it would mean a patch, just pump it up, hope the leak is slow enough. Which means I pump, she takes off, then I sprint to catch up. 4 times. So we get to finish with intervals. Unplanned intervals.

So the lesson we have all learned before is learned again. Take the time to do it right the first time, otherwise the cycling gods will punish your hubris.

All is well now, I am replacing fluids and carbs. Beer makes it all better! :thumbsup:

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
yep.

the worst part for me on those kinda deals, is standing there sweating with the bugs biting while messing with the tire, and going to wipe the sweat off my brow and realizing just a smidge too late that my fingers are covered in dirt and now so is my forehead.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
oh.........I can so identify..........except for the riding with wife part. My wife hates cycling

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Creakyknees said:
the worst part for me ...

The worst part for me was that I was in speed mode, and had the bead off before I realized how bad the skeeters were. Well, that and the fact that I was dancing around like a medieval fool to the point where passing rider looked pretty freaked out when he asked if we had everything we needed. I said everything but deet.

The ride was actually really good otherwise. We rode past fields of sunflowers, saw a river otter, beautiful ride really.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
dr hoo said:
The worst part for me was that I was in speed mode, and had the bead off before I realized how bad the skeeters were. Well, that and the fact that I was dancing around like a medieval fool to the point where passing rider looked pretty freaked out when he asked if we had everything we needed. I said everything but deet.

The ride was actually really good otherwise. We rode past fields of sunflowers, saw a river otter, beautiful ride really.
the worst part is when you start smacking the skeeters and have stuff in your hands. Nothing like beating yourself senseless with a frame pump. They really have NO trouble biting through spandex do they?

I have to ride up my driveway through the woods...NOT good. we have had HUGE amounts or rain, the drive is all washed and rutted and has loose gravel on the parts that aren't rutted. If I have to walk it I will lose ALL my blood in the 1200 foot walk...so I opt to ride, there is a REAL good chance of losing a lot of blood when I fall trying to get up as fast as I can.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Touch0Gray said:
They really have NO trouble biting through spandex do they?

Not at all, but my wife had my back. :thumbsup:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
bet she had a blast beating on you with the pump!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
that's what i was trying to say in Snap's thread!

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Touch0Gray said:
that's what i was trying to say in Snap's thread!
Sometimes people do things that suck for good reason. Like raising money for charity.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
i understand...and you know that...BUT that ain't gonna stop me from giving Snap a hard time.....If I didn't love her...i wouldn't even bother responding to her!...

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Touch0Gray said:
If I didn't love her..

Yet you suggest a 'bent, which as we all know leads to weight gain and beard growth?!?!?!?!

:wink5:

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
:I once went on an unorganized century with a group of friends the moreon who picked out the route :)rolleyes: ) decided to ride through the only place in IL where cactus grows wild. Yup, that means when they mow the ditches all the thorns end up on the road. We went through every available tube with 30+ miles to go. The only thing I could think of was a tube of fix-a-flat from a gas station. It worked good but I never worked so hard to get all the goo that came out of the tire and onto my bike off. As nice as the roads are in that area I'll never go back without having some Mr. Tuffy tire liners or Stan's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts