Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love grilling steaks in the spring, summer and fall. In the winter - I FAIL miserably at cooking a juicy pc. of meat. I have tried searing in a pan and then moving to the oven, broiling, only the oven etc...

I ask you members of the lounge - what is the best way to cook a steak that isn't on the grill?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
buy a meat thermometer.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Is that possible?

Sounds like a "divide by zero" situation to me.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tomk96 said:
buy a meat thermometer.

I thought the critical element was not cutting/poking into the steak? I've always heard that doing so would cause it to become very dry and lose the juice...?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Qstick333 said:
I thought the critical element was not cutting/poking into the steak? I've always heard that doing so would cause it to become very dry and lose the juice...?
i have one that stays in the entire time. has an alarm too. i don't think you want to keep jabbing your steak tho.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Get a cast iron skillet hotter than hell. Grossly over-salt the meat, burn one side and then the other.

Crisp exterior, beef-sushi interior.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
Qstick333 said:
I love grilling steaks in the spring, summer and fall. In the winter - I FAIL miserably at cooking a juicy pc. of meat. I have tried searing in a pan and then moving to the oven, broiling, only the oven etc...

I ask you members of the lounge - what is the best way to cook a steak that isn't on the grill?
Make sure you bring the steak to room temperature first. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Season with a little bit of salt and pepper. Then using your heaviest skillet or frying pan preheat it on the highest heat possible ( I use the "powwerburner" on my range) Then cook depending on thickness, flipping only once to get a good crust/char. I usually use 2" thick filets or strips and cook between 6 or 7 minutes per side. For a thinner standard "grocery store thick" steak, about 1 inch thick, cook for about 3 minutes a side.

After cooking let steaks rest for about 5 minutes to lock in the juices and then ENJOY!!!!

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Qstick333 said:

HTFU and use the grill in the winter.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Steak is worth eating only when grilled outside on charcoal. If you can't grill in the winter, go steakless until spring.

Pan frying steak is like spitting into the baptismal font. It's like peeing in the bath.

You just don't do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had luck w/ cast iron and grills. As mentioned, marinate for several hours to bring meat to room temp, sear, reduce to low heat. Cut heat before you think it is done as it will continue to 'cook' w/o heat, especially if cooking a bone-in meat.

I have grown fond of a sea salt, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar marinade. Damn, I am getting hungry.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have never pan fried a steak, I always use a broiler. For an avg. supermarket steak (I save the thick, aged butcher steaks for summer on teh charcoal grill) about 5 mins on one side and 3 on the other. I will have to try the pan method. Use a little butter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
I have never pan fried a steak, I always use a broiler. For an avg. supermarket steak (I save the thick, aged butcher steaks for summer on teh charcoal grill) about 5 mins on one side and 3 on the other. I will have to try the pan method. Use a little butter?
If you can get a good cut, butter isn't necessary. Maybe it covers up the meat's flavor. It's all personal preference though. I prefer a zingy kind of flavor, not rich buttery style.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I've only cooked mine indoors when I didn't have any gas for the grill

+eleventy on bringing to room temp. Very important.
Season, salt and pepper, a little olive oil.

Cast iron skillet. On High for a few minutes before even thinking about putting the meat in it. Sear it, Flip it, Sear it and then if you want it more done it goes into the oven until the temp you want is reached (Remember it will keep cooking once out of the oven)

Take it out and let it rest !

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
imjps said:
Pansy...meat thermometer is for wussies.

Use the touch test:
Soft = rare
Slightly soft = med. rare
firm = well done

works everytime.

jps
How firm is firm? Thermometers are good for learning.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Bingo, bango, bongo

As stated above

Everything I know about cooking meat.
Bring to room temp.
Salt (kosher) & pepper (cracked) I also use dry mustard for beef.
Wipe EVO on hot grate with paper towel.
High heat sear on each side (don't fiddle with it, move it, stab it let it cook).
if the grate is clean the meat should release (not stick) when it is ready to flip.
When done, tent in foil and let it rest

I always use a meat thermometer for chicken and pork. The things that will make you sick if they're under cooked. For beef if poke it with my finger to test doneness.

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
Chain said:
How firm is firm? Thermometers are good for learning.
Here's an old chef trick that'll help: Let your hand hang loosely from your wrist (not code), and poke your other index finger into the space between your thumb and index fingers; that's about what rare feels like. Now, make a fist (also not code), and poke the same; that's about what medium feels like. And if you poke the back of your hand, that's well-done.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Buy a better cut of meat.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
lets_ride said:
HTFU and use the grill in the winter.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been using my grill year-round for ~ 20 years now- the neighbors hardly notice anymore.

New Year's eve was 7F with a 25-30 mile breeze, but the scheduled (grill) recipe was pork tenderloin with a fig-chipotle glaze (unbelievable good, BTW).

Besides, it isn't even winter anymore!! :rolleyes:

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Marinating your meat (not c0d3) ahead of time is the key, regardless of how it is cooked.
If you buy the steaks for later in the week, pull them out of the store package and marinate them before freezing. Put them in a gallon zip-lock bag, put in the fridge to absorb for a few hours, and then freeze. This works well for chicken, fish, or pork loin.
If they'll be cooked later in the day, set 'em in a glass dish and marinate while keeping cool in the fridge.

Marination is personal choice. Just enough tariaki to keep the steaks moist for the other spices to stick to works fine. I like cajun spices, some pepper, and maybe some dried onion seasoning.

Like all decent cooks, I have to agree with the usual statement, "cook until done". "Meat Thermometers" sounds like a good name for a punk band.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.