Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love wagons, especially Euro, sporty, lowered wagons with bikes on the top. Here are some shots of some really cool wagons with some bad ass bikes on top from yesterdays stage of the Tour of California.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey - neat photos. 'Wagons' - AKA 'estate cars' are pretty common in Europe - they can shift down the road like a regular car, yet haul stuff with ease.

Unlike a converted top heavy builders' truck with a welded on cap, tarted up interior and too big alloy wheels. 'SUV' I think they call them...

Few years back, I had the 2002 VW Passat - the previous edition of the HTC Passat in your first shot. 'Cept instead of a turbo four banger, mine had a 2.8 liter V6 with stunning bottom end torque and the best manual gearbox I've ever driven. Being English, that's from a lot of manual gearboxes.

Really PO'd folk when a wagon blew past them like it wasn't even going fast. Which mostly, it wasn't really. The good part was that, even at my short-donkied 5' 7" and a bit, I could put our two bikes on the integral roofrack, or flop the back seats down and throw my bike in the back, both wheels in. VW ruined the car when they went down to the turbo 2L four banger.

Sedans are almost useless, SUVs are, well, Senseless Urban Vehicles, hatchbacks are great - but wagons rule :)

D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Love the new CTS wagon. Lots of new wagon variants coming stateside the next few years. Even Acura is bringing the TSX (Euro Accord) wagon to the US this year. I finally have a few options when it comes time to replace the Jetta wagen in a few years.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
3 things:
- I drive an 02 Passat 4L turbo, and love it. True it doesn't have the low-end torque of the 6, but it sounds way cooler.
- That Pontiac makes me think of Bill Woodull, RIP.

- Raul Alcala un-retired a couple years ago. Didn't make it back to the ProTour like you know who, but he's still racing in Mexico, doing the rider-coach-DS think to a young set of pro's / U23's. Anyway, he brought his team to Houston for a crit last weekend. Except they didn't have UCI racing licenses, just Mexican license, so the USAC officials couldn't let them into the p-1-2 race. In fact, they should have made them buy cat 5 one-day license. So what did the officials do? They made Raul Alcala and his band of young pro's, race in the cat 3 race. Yep. Five Mexicans placed 1-5, haveing broken well clear of the pack. Raul hung back and covered, and finished 17th.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
Creakyknees said:
3 things:
- I drive an 02 Passat 4L turbo, and love it. True it doesn't have the low-end torque of the 6, but it sounds way cooler.
- That Pontiac makes me think of Bill Woodull, RIP.

- Raul Alcala un-retired a couple years ago. Didn't make it back to the ProTour like you know who, but he's still racing in Mexico, doing the rider-coach-DS think to a young set of pro's / U23's. Anyway, he brought his team to Houston for a crit last weekend. Except they didn't have UCI racing licenses, just Mexican license, so the USAC officials couldn't let them into the p-1-2 race. In fact, they should have made them buy cat 5 one-day license. So what did the officials do? They made Raul Alcala and his band of young pro's, race in the cat 3 race. Yep. Five Mexicans placed 1-5, haveing broken well clear of the pack. Raul hung back and covered, and finished 17th.
If you want to get the low end torque on the turbo, you can get an APR chip that will add about 70lb-ft of torque. I had it on my turbo GTi. I love the Passat TDi. That is the car I want if I could have one.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I kind of think of you are going to get a pricey, high-end car it is silly to get a wagon, but those are some pretty slick ones.

As for the Pontiac...my first car was a Chevrolet Caprice Classic wagon. Drove that from the time I was 16-19. Now I don't even own a car and couldn't imagine driving one that size around on a daily basis. Funny how things change.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
And yet, there's hardly any available in the US.

We can pick the bloated Mazda cx-9 or cx-7, but we can't get the awesome Mazda 6 wagon.

Dear car manufacturers- I'd really like a wagon. I know, I'm an American and thus I'm supposed to want an SUV, but I don't. I'm 6'2" and even I have a hard time getting things on the roof of an SUV. "Why, just get one of those hitch-racks" you say? Yeah, that's great except It doesn't work for tandems or canoes, does it?

And another thing- I've got a friend with a Toyota 4runner. It's immense... on the outside. Inside, it's actually got about the same amount of space as our Honda Civic. But it gets much worse mileage. Yay!

How about you just start selling the wagons you already make and sell in Europe, right here in the USA? I'll buy one.

Otherwise, I'm going for the Jetta TDI wagon.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.