Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you all think on this issue: is it cool or uncool to ride a frame with a replica paintjob (not done at original factory) that looks almost identical to a limited edition frame (Ferrari Colnago, Chrome Dogma Ego, Gold Madone ...)?

Which do you choose?

A) Sure, why not, as long as it's pretty.
B) It sucks because it's fake.
C) How can you infringe upon the manufacturer's intellectual property rights?! This is legally and morally problematic... blah blah
D) Cool, so everyone will think I just paid $10K for this baby.

One request: please no poser/poseur discussion.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
as long as its purty and no longer for sale.
if its still for sale i think it's a bit more grey area.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
I think it's cool if it is a retro frame project.
Otherwise, not cool.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
double post my computer's a retard

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
There is a fine line between building a tribute and a being a poser.

I think that I would rather spend money on a unique paint job rather than replica.

Something about that word R E P L I C A.... just sounds cheesy.

If you really love the paint for the scheme, not the "image", then maybe change the colors up. I am a car enthusiast and I usually notice and appreciate a car that has a factory paint look in a non-factory color.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think that if it's a retro project (I'd say 5 or more years on that) AND it's not going to be sold, or atleast properly advise the buyer that it's not what it apears to be,,, then I say make it happen.
I once did a bike to look like an old school Trek, but I will not ever be selling it either.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Connundrum..

I sort of have a situation like that. My '99 Lemond, the paint job failed miserably at the bb, water bottle boss and FD clamp. White bike, little rivers of rust running down the frame. Trek said TS, you are past warranty date, but we'll respray with the same crappy paint for $200 plus shipping. So I lobbied the LBS and obtained a set of decals for a Lemond MJ. I wanted to powder coat the frame to be a completely unique color, but the PCer could not get a color I was after, sort of a lime green. So i went with a cola red PC and had a painter spray part of it yellow and apply decals. It looks like that model of bike appropriate for the decals, but it is not. I've only seen about 2 of those models of bikes, if I ever sell it I'll be sure and point out my $300 paint job.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Uh...I'll have one of "A" please.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I think you can do whatever you want to do with your bike as long as you don't try to sell it to someone as authentic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts