Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions for a pair of full finger gloves for riding in temperatures around 35-55F. Simple!

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
that's a wide range of temps... also depends on if you're 'cold-handed' or not. at the warmer end you might look at long-fingered mtn bike gloves, minimal insulation. at the colder end you prob want something w/ a windproof layer

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
As FTF notes, it depends

I've been using Assos Isotex gloves for the last 9 years and the range they work best in for me is 40-55F. Above, I wear normal mitts, below, a pair of Gore gloves with insulation.

The Isotex have been out of production for a while but are basically windtex with really light fleece backing. Campagnolo makes similar type gloves as do Castelli, Pearizumi and many others.

When riding, I just need something to keep the wind off my hands as they heat up on their own quite nicely. Others might not find this sort of glove to be sufficient.

lucky13 said:
I am looking for suggestions for a pair of full finger gloves for riding in temperatures around 35-55F. Simple!

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I've been using the Campy Textran (light-ish & windproof) for 40-60 degree days & a pair of the Campy Pittard leather for colder days.

The latter fit a little closer than I would like, although they are great gloves. The Textran seem to run pretty close to US sizing.

I think I got them cheap at Chicago bikes when they were dumping their winter gear last spring...but I'm not color-matched which causes certain NYC riders to recoil in horror as I pass...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have been using the Specialized BG Descent gloves for cold weather riding. They are wind proof, but do not have insulation - perfect for days down to about 30* F. Been using the same pair the past 2 winters - great gloves, IMHO.

YMMV.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
As someone said, that's a wide range. At 35 I wear a glove with substantial insulation and a good wind barrier. 55 is almost fingerless temp, or maybe a thin wool liner glove under regular cycling gloves.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
For 45-55 I use the DeFeet DuraGloves. They are available in a cotton blend or a wool blend. I like the wool version, they are like the Wool-E-Ator socks.

For 35-45 I prefer to have something with wind protection and a little more insulation. Descente and Pearl Izumi have a wide range of gloves for these temps. Rain also factors into this decision, if you ride in cold rain you might want a neoprene glove like a kayak paddling glove.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
afraid thats a how long is a piece of string kind of question. It largely depends on your effort, the more effort you use, the less cold your hands will be, so you will need warmer ones if your taking it easy around the place, or less warm ones if your doing heavy paced riding. Its a personal choice really.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
muscleendurance said:
afraid thats a how long is a piece of string kind of question. It largely depends on your effort, the more effort you use, the less cold your hands will be, so you will need warmer ones if your taking it easy around the place, or less warm ones if your doing heavy paced riding. Its a personal choice really.
Maybe at 5-10 degrees (41-50 F for the Celcius impaired) but at anything below that the faster you go the colder your hands get. The wind chill factor on your fingers increases with wind speed. Lighter gloves might be fine for JRA but when the speeds go up you better have on some warm gloves below 5 C.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.