Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Obviously not doping
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to take this opportunity to brag on my wife. I have been having some problems with the rear wheel for about a month, and have flatted several times, twice this week. I usually get up at 5am to go ride so that I can get to work on time, get a long ride in, and not miss my family too much. Anyway, I called my wife (who's pregnant) before 7am twice this week, both times at least 10 miles from home on some obscure back road and had her pack up the three kids under 6 and come get me. Both times I was slightly underprepared (the first time there was nothing I could have done besides carry an extra tire around, the second time, if I had a spare tube with me I may have made it home). The first time, she was a little grumpy about it, but we made a family breakfast outing out of it and it turned into a fun morning. the second time, I was terrified to call her, but finally did and she picked up the phone and says with an actual, real, genuine smile, "So, are we going out to breakfast again?" I was so happy that I married such a great woman and I was wondering what our other's have done for us and our biking, um, habbits, that were really cool, either bailing us out of something or enabling us by doing something positive and supportive. I bet some of us have some great stories, so lets share.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was involved in a class action suite that dragged on for over 20 years. For many years I thought it was just a scam, but that's a different story. A couple of years ago the check came in. I figured it was going to be a couple of hundred dollars at most. I was stunned when I saw that it was for over $7000. When my wife came home I showed her the check and she asked me, "What are you going to do with it?"

I answered without hesitation, "I want a custom bicycle."

She smiled and that was it. I got a custom bike. She was totally supportive. I was like a big kid getting a shiny new toy.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
One week before my birthday many years ago, my wife went to my bikeshop and got a wheel carton, a set of trashed wheels out of their dumpster, and a set of beautiful brand-new Campy Record Pista hub track wheels.

On my birthday, she gave me the box containing the trashed wheels with oh so sweet explanations of how these were a real bargain, and the guy at the shop said I they'd be real easy to true, and on and on . . . had me going for at least 15 minutes.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
Usually I get one day per week where she doesn't complain about me wanting to ride. Sometimes I have to go a couple weeks but usually I get that one day of no complaints each week.

It's the little things. They all add up.

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
Years ago I always said that when Cannondale builds a track frame, that's the one I wanted. I waited, but nothing. I finally got a custom built job. Two months later Cannondale came out with a track frame. When my girlfriend (now my wife) heard, she went out and bought a frame for me and surprised me with it. Many years later and I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Not exactly wife or SO, but my parents are great.
I've been riding the past two months with a duct-tape job keeping my left shoe closed. I pay for all my cycling stuff, so I figured there was no point in *****ing, I'd try to save.
I crash and the crap gets ripped out of my gloves. Again, I start saving.
One day my parents go "Ethan we're going for a trip." "Uh, okay."
We go to the LBS, where they tell me to pick out a pair of new gloves since mine have no backs. They then say "Your shoes look like crap. Get a nice pair, you bike enough to justify (almost) anything if there's a significant comfort advantage." (They trust me, I go for what works, and what's cheap; pays out dividends in the long run trust wise...)
I can't believe it, but the LBS only stocks Shimano up to the R130's, and then Nike. I didn't want Nikes, so I asked if I could look around.
I eventually settled upon Shimano R215's, Carnac Helium 100's, or Sidi Genius 5.5 HT's. Asked the parents if the Helium's and Sidi's were okay. They kind of grimaced, and said that if the shoes were that comfortable, it'd be okay. I try them all on, and find that I like the Carnacs the most, then the R215's. I pick the R215's cuz they're 60 bucks less.
Unfortunately, I ride SPD, which is 2 bolt, a 3 Bolt road shoe would be bad. So I figure, hell, I'll save.
They found this out one way or another, and, to my disbelief, told me that since I'd picked the cheaper pedals (thereby being responsible, or something) they'd loan me the money to pick up a new pair of pedals.
I just got back from an excellent first ride with Look Keo Carbon Chromos and Shimano R215's.
-estone2

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
She had not cycled since childhood. When she turned 63, she bought a new road bike, so that she could ride with me.

Nuff said.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
MB of my dreams for my 50th birthday.

When I turned 50, we were pretty much living paycheck to paycheck--one kid in college and another almost ready, an illness in the extended family that had eaten up a lot of money and time and several major failures in our old house (roof, appliances, septic tank all in a couple of months). My wife got together with a couple of good friends and a relative or two and bought me a Cannondale MB I'd wanted for a long time. Now that I look back on it, the $1000 or so it cost doesn't seem like a big deal, but it was an enormous amount of money to us at the time.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
She went to a cyclocross race at Monkey Hill in Wilmington De. It has a great cobblestone climb and it was a great muddy day. After it was over she walked up to a large group of us all muddy and messy and said "I just don't understand white people" (she is black,im white) At that point the group fell out laughing and she was the hit for the rest of the cyclocross season every where she went. She has allways backed me on my racing and riding, the best thing she has done for me? SHe does it every day.
Bill

·
Registered
611 Posts
Last year for my October birthday, wifey went to a LBS and bought me a Nike jacket. I had no idea she knew I needed a cool weather riding jacket, but I didn't have one, and she picked me out a beauty. I have used it all winter and even some cool spring mornings. One of my most important pieces of kit, now.

She also doesn't blink when new parts and such are dropped off regularly by UPS.

I caught a good one.:thumbsup:

Jim

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
He lets me keep my 2 best bikes in the living room. We are remodeling and when it's done I'm going to hang them on the wall in the new guest bedroom/office.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
My husband lets me keep my 2 best bikes in the living room. We are remodeling and when it's done I'm going to hang them on the wall in the new guest bedroom/office.

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Lots of things

Way too numerous to list.
The main thing is she really lets me ride, and doesn't complain. It balances out, If I am riding long I leave early in the morning so I will have the rest of the day with her and the kids. She also doesn't care when I want to go for the occasional evening spin.
I also keep the kids on Sat. nights alot so she can go out with her buddies. When I take a weekend riding trip, sometime in the next couple weeks I will keep the kids for the weekend and she goes somewhere with her friends.
I guess balance is the key.
Also she lets me enjoy what is not a cheap hobby, especially when you combine it with Scuba Diving.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Just bought me the Pinarello Paris carbon frameset

even though my bikes are currently taking over the dining room that she had big plans for.
Also, she let me quit my job to stay at home and take of the kids,so that means take them to their respective places in the morning and its riding time until 5pm.She's a keeper for sure!

·
Registered
797 Posts
For Christmas she got me a Discovery Channel team jersy in yellow.

·
Registered
635 Posts
my parents covered half of my bike/initial setup that allowed me to get into the sport and start racing. a few months later when i busted up the cheapo spd pedals i had my sister was the one who ordered a pair of keo sprints and had em shipped to me.

and my dad bought my mom a bike for her 50th. upgrading her from a 6sp friction shifter from back in the day to full ultegra alu/carbon comfort, wsd, model that she had been lusting over.

they pretty much rock, in my book at least (and thats all that matters)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.