Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
And what do you do with that silly thing after it starts getting hot? It says that it lasts "up to two hours". Right!..While riding outside, with all the generated body heat, it probably lasts 45 minutes. Are you supposed to pull off your jersey, in the middle of a race, pull off the vest, pitch the vest, and put the jersey back on....All without crashing??....Get real..!!!!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
And what do you do with that silly thing after it starts getting hot? It says that it lasts "up to two hours". Right!..While riding outside, with all the generated body heat, it probably lasts 45 minutes. Are you supposed to pull off your jersey, in the middle of a race, pull off the vest, pitch the vest, and put the jersey back on....All without crashing??....Get real..!!!!!

The concept is to use it during "warm up". The old school thinking was a literal interpretation of warm up, where the cyclists often put on extra layers to work up a good sweat. Their research says that the ability to loosen up the leg muscles while maintaining core temp is more beneficial than raising core temp.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
There are better, and cheaper ways to keep your core temp down while warming up on a trainer...........

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from what i read it can be "recharged" by placing it in water in about 5 min. it also said that if you freeze it that it stays cold longer than 2 hours. its so damn hot here right now that i would surely try it if i didnt have to pay for it first. this isnt new tech, these are used a lot in mining where underground temps stay close to 100 with 90% humidity.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have one from STACOOLVEST.com. It works as described and has replaceable packs to keep it cool over time. Works well while stationary, but not while riding. I forgot to factor in the Florida heat and it warmed the vest through in about 30 minutes.....

·
Registered
896 Posts
check out velonews for an article about all the cooling gadgets used by Garmin. if blood must flow to the skin to assist in cooling the body, that blood is not in your muscles. the more blood concentrated in the places where work is being done, the better you will be able to do that work. performance degrades at temps over 75 degrees or so. you especially see the temp being discussed around running races. I believe that the most benefit would be realized in events like 40k TT's and 1hr crits on very hot days. if you can hit the line with your blood in your muscles and not so much at skin surface for cooling, you will likely ride better. but it is a matter of time before your body must begin focusing on cooling. because the palms of your hands hold no capilaries(as per the Garmin article), cool material held by the palms cools the blood that hits your veins directly. so racing handlebars filled with super-chilled freon should be of benefit ;)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The best benefit I have seen from it is when I get finished with a ride, I dry off and put it on to help cool down quickly. With the nasty heat we have had here in Florida, it helps a bit to keep it on if you can't get to air conditioning quickly. There are a couple of us here who put them on before we hit the market for the traditional post-ride sandwich. The vests combined with some A/C lets you recover much better with the post-ride heat stress.

BTW, it is not nearly as good as getting in the pool....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts