Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit that I don't necessarily agree with the way the Critical Massters try to get their point across. But this is another story entirely. If this ain't police brutality, I don't know what is. Apparently the cyclist was held for 26 hours and charged with attempted assault and resisting arrest.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ

· Registered
2,287 Posts
W T F? That's ridiculous. Of course we don't know what the cyclist was doing up to that point. Maybe, the cop had a reason to stop him. Even so, that was excessive. If I was the rider I would consider bringing charges against the cop.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, this came up in some of the YouTube comments. We're only seeing a few seconds of video. Maybe the cycling did something up the block, and the police radioed ahead. We also don't have mics on the cyclist or police. Maybe the cyclist said something to the cop.

But unless this guy was suspected of a violent crime, aren't there better ways to nab him?

Peanya said:
There must be a reason he was targeted - what was he doing before he was shown in the video we don't see?

· Registered
2,771 Posts
one side, i've little support or sympathy for critical m*******s
on the other, the cop may have given a verbal command to stop however he never used his hands to communicte that. Being that a bike is a vehicle it's reasonable for an officer to do such as with speed traveling it's not reasonable to expect he is heard.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
that pig was out of line, too much and potentially lethal level of force. the bottom line is that whatever your views of critical mass, they doesnt require a violent response. you let cops be thugs and critical mass gets stronger. protesting is an important aspect of our country, critical mass is not violent (except that episode in seattle where the guy ran into the riders purposefully), and we need to support their right to do what they do.

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Looking at the video, it looks like that cop was specifically looking for that rider, he saw him coming a long ways away. But man, was that brutal. This could be a battery, unless the rider was resisting arrest at an earlier point or was try to evade the police.

On another note, IMHO critical mass is a critical mess. I don't think CM does anything to help promote cycling, it only really serves to piss off drivers. I'm all for protest and peaceful demonstration, but this isn't a legal demonstration and it just reinforces drivers' opinions that cyclists are dangerous hazards because they don't follow traffic laws.

· I'm workin' on it....
255 Posts
On another note, IMHO critical mass is a critical mess. I don't think CM does anything to help promote cycling, it only really serves to piss off drivers. I'm all for protest and peaceful demonstration, but this isn't a legal demonstration and it just reinforces drivers' opinions that cyclists are dangerous hazards because they don't follow traffic laws.
+1 on that

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
What if the police had attempted to stop him several times already, using verbal commands? What if they tried to stop by grabbing previously, yet we haven't seen it?
When I first saw the video, it did surprise me how he was thrown down, but seeing how he was being charged with resisting arrest and assault, then I'm sure there's a whole lot more to the story than we're seeing.
I was unaware of this critical mass - quick Google informed me...

· Registered
384 Posts
Wow. I'd bet a thousand dollars that the police officer doesn't end up facing any consequences. I don't know what the law states, like if the rider commited some offence a few minutes prior, what an officer is legally allowed to do to apprehend him, but that clip just doesn't sit well. I know during a high speed chase, a police cruiser can ram or obstruct the offending driver because he's creating a huge danger for everyone around him. I don't think that cyclist really represented a significant enough threat to knock him down and risk broken bones or even a life altering head injury.

· Registered
208 Posts
that guy was not going fast, absolutely no reason the cop could not of got infront of him and signaled him to stop, as said, no idea what led up to it, but hell, at that speed he should of been able to just grab him off the bike...haha

phats

· Registered
208 Posts
this is why i dont want to be a cop (im a corrections officer)... too much public scrutiny, always being watched...granted its with pay, dont need the hassle....we dont know the full story, but as always, only see the worst part...

phats

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
That's just stupid. If that wanker on the bike had just leaned into the cop, the cop would have gone down....This indicates poor riding skills......He should work on that.

· Registered
32 Posts
Everything video I’ve seen on Critical Menace is negative. I’ve never been to one but they all just look like a bunch of dirt bag hippies trying looking for trouble. Sounds harsh, but has anything good ever come out of CM?

· Registered
638 Posts
Ive never been to a cm ride but I can surely assume that nothing warrants this. Unless the cyclist was being chased for a felony or violent crime there is no reason for that to happen. What I assume is that the cop is simply an over violent loser douchebag that got beat on in highschool and now roams the streets looking to throw his badge around like he's a god because he thinks that it'll make his youth right. Not to assume things but the evidence is overwhelming that cops are dangerous people that need to be mentally evaluated. Now I know that there are good cops and I feel bad for them because they get this bad image due to their wacko counterparts. Whats sick is that this guy will probably be back on duty in no time, doesnt it scare anybody else that people like him drive around in 5000 pound cars with loaded guns and a corrupt employer that will stick up for them and lie for them? How many times do we have to see police abuse and mock the power they have been generously given and throw it back in the face of their public? Not to mention the insane amount of pay they receive. Im sorry but over $50,000 a year to be a suburban pig that pulls over speeders and writes reports on spousal arguments is just wrong. Once again, I am very sorry to any good cops out there that have to deal with this image when they did nothing wrong. By the way if I were that rider I would get a lawyer and sue the hell out that PD.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
dirty cop move, Pig. excessive for whatever reason. He wasn't taking down a gun toting 200lb ex-con but 20something lightweight. cop got balls, surprised he didn't get a rock in the back of the head.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.