Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt know whether to put this topic here or in Beginner section. I tried to ride yesterday here in NYC. It was extremely hot and humid. I took my bike out to Wingate Park and rode about 7 laps around the oval at full tilt trying out the cadence thingy I learned on here. I probably got it wrong because when I stopped and rode home I almost fainted. My head started spinning and I started seeing black spots. Thought I was gonna die lol. What did I do wrong? I ate 2 hours earlier, drank plenty of water etc.

The thing that worries me is that while I was riding I didnt feel any of this. My legs were burning from the fatigue but thats it. My chest felt raw a bit but none of that fainty feeling till I reached my elevator of my building. The whole session of riding took maybe 7-8 minutes.

Im thinking I over exerted myself and I guess my limits are pretty low as of now and I should take it easier? On my rides to work [30m round trip] I dont experience this but Im not full tilt all the way. Is full tilt laps a good way to train? I dont know if 7 laps is my limit or it is my high heat limit. Thinking about trying it again on a much cooler day. Any insight would be appreciated. Regardless of what the answers are its apparent I have a long long way to go before I try hanging with any of you on group rides.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you were trying to decide whether to post here on in the Beginner section, sounds like you're new to the sport.

First off, if possible, avoid riding during the hottest part of the day. When it's 94 degrees and 90% humidity you're asking for trouble. The best time for summer riding is early in the AM, before it starts heating up. Full tilt riding in hot weather is an invitation for heat exhaustion (which it sounds like you experienced) or heat stroke, which can kill you.

You need to train to exercise in heat and humidity, building slowly over a period of weeks until your body gets acclimated to it. Bottom line: on really hot days take it easy.

·
Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Im totally knew to road biking but not biking in general. Rode mtb's back in the early 90's. Getting up in age at 36 now and decided to take up RBing as a way of enjoying excercise. Ill take your advice and do the early morning rides. Dont want to experience those feeling again. It literally felt like I was going to die. Im really out of shape and I think Ill take it easy for now and slowly build up. Im hoping to be able to go full tilt for 20 laps in at least a month. Is this realistic? Im fighting myself mentally as well as physically as I know its gonna take awhile to get where I want to be. I have a bad habbit of pushing myself to the limit sometimes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I did 42 miles yesterday, about 95 F and very high humidity in Chester County, Pa. (a mix of hills and flats) I wear a skull cap under my helmet to keep the sweet off of my eyes, and also wear the the shirts that alow the sweat to flow through. Also drink plenty of water. I keep my speeds down and keep my heart rate between 120/140. I wear a HR monitor. So far the heat has not bothered me that much.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just like benchpress265, I was in the heat all week doing 30-45 mile rides. I do two things if I expect the heat to get to me:
1: Go at normal speed, but take a 1-2 minute break every 15 miles.
2: Slow down and relax while riding. 15-17mph instead of 19-20.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The obvious answer isn't obvious to a lot of people: Drink a lot. The original poster said that he had been drinking a lot of water before the ride, but he also needed to drink a lot during the ride, even if he didn't feel thirsty, at least 1 small bottle every 30 minutes if it's really hot. Racers will go through 30 bottles on a hot day. Because of this high rate, you have to stop at least once an hour to get more water. If you can't stop or there are no places to get water, then you have to go "uncool" and get a Camelmak or equivalent (on top of the 2 bottles). Also helpful are new (to me, anyway) 1liter bottles.

I remember a teammate of mine doing a collegiate race in extreme heat. He had 2 bottles, but had also taken 3 extra bottle which he put in his rear pockets. Now that was 20 years ago in the days of pure Lycra jerseys, so his stretchy jersey was way down over his butt almost down to his knees and the guys on the main opposing team were laughing at him. About 50 miles into the race he heard one of those guys asking the other: "Hey do you have any water left?" My friend won that race.

As people are saying, monitor your form to see how you are handling the heat. For example, if you have a HR monitor and your HR is going through the roof, or you can't seem to raise it, then just take it easy or better yet, turn back and go home. The other problem is that air quality can also be quite bad on hot days.

Pushing yourself too fast can lead to injury and when you are starting out, new to the sport and not in great shape, you get almost as much benefit from moderate riding as from going hard, since anything you do will let you improve. For this reason, it is better not to push it too much at the start. Believe me, you will be able to do the 20 laps you want, it just may not happen right away. At 36 years of age, you have at least 30 good years of riding left.

-ilan

·
Registered
274 Posts
ilian:

+1 on the hydration for sure!! A few of the guys responded about doing their riding in extreme heat and humidity. A person can ride in those conditions provided they've acclimated their system to exercising in heat and humidity, taken proper precautions, and "listen" to their bodies.

At least 30 good years of riding left? Check this out: I rode yesterday with one of our local legends here in Pasadena, Parker Williams, who's 71. We did a group ride that included a long climb up Hwy 39 here to East Fork of the San Gabriel River (locals will know the route). Out of a group of 20-25 riders, guess who was #4 to the top? I was right behind him, and proud to have been able to hang on. I've been toasted by so many 60+ riders that it's not funny.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bill Silverman said:
At least 30 good years of riding left? Check this out: I rode yesterday with one of our local legends here in Pasadena, Parker Williams, who's 71. We did a group ride that included a long climb up Hwy 39 here to East Fork of the San Gabriel River (locals will know the route). Out of a group of 20-25 riders, guess who was #4 to the top? I was right behind him, and proud to have been able to hang on. I've been toasted by so many 60+ riders that it's not funny.
Well, I just hope to live long enough to go back and do those Pasadena rides (I used to live there 10 years ago). My favorites were Glendora Mt road (which used to be closed to traffic then), Angeles Crest to 39 (used to be a close road as well until near the bottom), and Cheney Trail. Now I live in flatland and the most exciting local riding is the equivalent of a Rose Bowl ride, yuck :(.

The last I heard, Guy Lapebie who won a Gold medal at the 1936 Olympics (!!!) was still riding 40 to 60 km a day: http://groups.google.com/group/rec....st&q=listening+to+the+oldies#023a17a16512b8e9

-ilan

·
Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys have been so much help. Thanks alot. Still waiting for my cats eye and HR to come in the mail. Ill wait till they get here before attempting another episode. From your posts and others that Ive read it seems listening to your body with those electronic aids is key and may help me know when Im overdoing it. Much better that fainting or dying lol. :cool: .

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It is important to take water but also electrolytes, and also some calories if you are going to be at it for much more than an hour. Also, don't assume that more is better when it comes to water consumption. Here is some food for thought on the topic:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/H...NGTIPS&OMI=&AMI=&RETURN_TEXT=Performance Tips

There is no escaping heat. Even well-acclimated elite athletes have poorer performance in it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
As others have said, drink as much as you can and if you need to you can dump water on your head.

Just did a crit today... it was 96 degrees and very humid. I almost passed out after I stopped. I only made it about 10 miles. Lesson learned. :cryin:

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record but drink plenty of fluids..

If I didn't ride in heat, I wouldn't be able to ride from May-Sep...

It was 80 degrees when I left at 7:00am this morning..It was over 100 when I stopped this afternoon...

During 6 hours of riding, I stopped 3 times for a big Gatorade(32oz?). Each time I stopped, I filled up my water bottle with water/ice as well.......

Even after all those fluids, my pee was still bright yellow...a sure sign I didn't drink enough.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Drink fluids WITH sodium and potassium salts in them . If you just drink water on a very hot day for a few hrs, your cells ability to convert glucose to energy will be greatly diminished.

Yesterday was 99 in Denver i did 5 hrs starting at 8:30, drank 5 bottles of Glucose,sucrose plus electrolytes. Also ate a little, you really don't feel like eating much when its hot but it is also important. Felt pretty good when I got home given the heat and the ride/

·
Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Not to sound like a broken record but drink plenty of fluids..

If I didn't ride in heat, I wouldn't be able to ride from May-Sep...

It was 80 degrees when I left at 7:00am this morning..It was over 100 when I stopped this afternoon...

During 6 hours of riding, I stopped 3 times for a big Gatorade(32oz?). Each time I stopped, I filled up my water bottle with water/ice as well.......

Even after all those fluids, my pee was still bright yellow...a sure sign I didn't drink enough.
Sure it wasnt the Gatorade making your pee bright yellow?:D

Im soaking up everything you guys are telling me. I gotta get my head right about this cycling sport Im getting into. Lots more to it than just jumping on a bike and riding full tilt. That fainting feeling might have been a good thing as it makes me want to take this sport ALOT more seriously. And I took it seriously before lol. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
didnt really read the whole post and none of the replies sorry if i repeat whats said...

1) its daylight savings time, start riding at least as late as 5:30 if you can, you can still get 3 hours in. or ride from like 6:30am till whenever.

2) drink at least 2 bottles of water before you leave, drink enough on the ride and mix it with cytomax or similar

3) unzip that jersey

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
Snakebitten said:
The thing that worries me is that while I was riding I didnt feel any of this. My legs were burning from the fatigue but thats it. My chest felt raw a bit but none of that fainty feeling till I reached my elevator of my building. The whole session of riding took maybe 7-8 minutes.
Sure, it's hot. Sure, you need to drink fluids... but you felt adverse affects from 7-8 minutes of riding? Am I reading your post right?

If I were to read the above without knowing anything else, I'd be concerned that you're VERY out of shape. However, you mentioned that you commute 30 miles to work? So I'm doubting that's the case.

I'm no doctor, but I would be concerned about the following: low blood pressure, heart problems (blockage, murmur, etc.), hyponatremia.

Make sure the water you are hydrating with has electrolytes in it. Hyponatremia (too much water, not enough electrolytes) is serious and can cause coma and death.

Take it easy in the heat.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
If you don't feel like you need to pee a little bit before going out, you didn't drink enough beforehand.

This is very true on longer rides 50 miles +

Pee clear!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.